stds-802-16-mobile: startup of IEEE 802.16 Mobile Wireless MAN Study Group

At Session #20, the Working Group, with the affirmation of the 802 Executive Committee, created a new IEEE 802.16 Mobile Wireless MAN Study Group. This group is to "address enhancements to the IEEE 802.16a PHY/MAC to support mobile operation, including cell-to-cell and sector-to-sector handoff capability as well as other protocol and MIB support."

On July 16, I asked for volunteers to Chair the new effort. Today, I am pleased to announce that Brian Kiernan <mailto:brian.kiernan@interdigital.com> has agreed to serve as Chair of the IEEE 802.16 Mobile Wireless MAN Study Group and that Shawn Taylor <mailto:shawnt@wi-lan.com> has agreed to serve as Vice Chair. I appreciate their willingness to help with this challenging assignment.

I have set up a web page for this Study Group at <http://ieee802.org/16/mobile>. Please carry out Study Group discussions on the 802.16 mobility reflector "stds-802-16-mobile" (for subscription information, see <http://ieee802.org/16/subscribe.html>). For file uploads, please use <http://mobile.wirelessman.org>. For document contributions, please use document numbers of the form C802.16sgm-02/XX.

Please work with Brian and Shawn to get the new Study Group moving.

Roger