stds-802-16-mobile: Kickoff of IEEE 802.16 Mobile Wireless MAN Study Group and Call for Contributions

First, let me apologize to everyone for taking so long in getting this
started.

Consider the following kick-off memo to serve as a Call for Contributions to
the Mobile Study Group.  Given that most people will have to start traveling
to Cheju on the Friday or Saturday prior to Session #21, I ask that any
contributions be uploaded to the 802.16 mobile web site
<http://mobile.wirelessman.org> no later than 18 September.

Prior to that I look forward to a lively dialog on the mobile reflector.

Brian

802.16 Mobile Wireless MAN Study Group: Kickoff Memo

This e-mail is intended to be a kick-off to start the 802.16 Mobile Wireless
MAN Study Group activities.  Roger has set up a web page for this Study
Group at <http://ieee802.org/16/mobile> and all Study Group discussions will
be held on the 802.16 mobility reflector "stds-802-16-mobile" (for
subscription information, see <http://ieee802.org/16/subscribe.html>).  For
file uploads, please use <http://mobile.wirelessman.org>.  For document
contributions, please use document numbers of the form C802.16sgm-02/XX.
A Quick Recap:
At Session #20, the 802.16 Working Group voted to create an 802.16 Working
Group Study Group (WGSG) to "address enhancements to the IEEE 802.16a
PHY/MAC to support mobile operation, including cell-to-cell and
sector-to-sector handoff capability as well as other protocol and MIB
support".  The 802 Executive Committee subsequently reaffirmed this.
Plan of Attack:
I remind everyone that we are talking about modifying the current 802.16a
air interface(s), not creating a new standard from scratch.  Before even
thinking about a PAR, we have to determine if this is technically feasible
and, if so, at what level.  I expect this will take at least two meetings,
however, I would hope that coming out of the November meeting we would at
least have a fair idea as to technical feasibility and the level of mobility
that we might be able to support.
The initial output of the Study Group is expected to be a series of studies
and analyses that would indicate whether such a capability can be provided
within the basic confines of the 802.16a PHY/MAC, what level of mobility
(pedestrian, vehicular) could be supported, and the extent of the PHY/MAC
changes required to support it.  It is NOT the current intent of the Study
Group to develop a PAR. However, if the technical studies indicate that
802.16a enhancement for mobile operation is feasible, development of a PAR
can be expected at some future date.
In thinking about this, a number of technical issues come to mind.  The
following list is not intended to be all-inclusive, and I solicit inputs on
other areas people think are pertinent, but these strike me as a minimum set
of technical issues that we need to address.

Contributions on these and any other relevant items are solicited for
Session #21.

Some Technical Issues for 802.16a Mobility:
* Reference System Deployment Scenario
o Multi-cell, macro and/or micro
o Omni-directional or sectored antennas or both
o Frequency reuse and cell-to-cell interference (both FDD and TDD)
o Level of cell network interconnect
o MIB support
* Mobile Channel Models
o Pedestrian (Indoor and Outdoor), Vehicular (target speed)
o Doppler
o Dispersive Multipath - Fast Fading
o Simulations
* Impact of the above mobile environment on current 802.16a Air Interface(s)
parameters and performance to include:
o Synchronization and Timing, both initial and periodic
o Ranging
o Power Control
o Channel coding
o Measurement methods and messaging for support of intra- and inter-cell
handoff
o Effect on Advanced Antenna Systems
o Protocols
* Impact on the Services to be provided:
o QoS
o Data Rates, BER or PER
o Latency
* Determination of appropriate frequency bands
In addition to the technical issues, there are some other aspects of this
effort that we need to keep in mind as we progress towards a possible PAR.
The one that comes most readily to mind is: What significant advantages or
disadvantages does a mobile enhanced 802.16a air interface provide over
current or planned 3G mobile networks?  Related to this is the question of
liaison with other Standards Development Organizations such as T1P1, 3GPP
and 3GPP2.
I remind you that any document submissions must make use of the 802.16
Document Submission Template (Rev. 8.3 or higher).
Brian