From: owner-stds-802-16-mobile@listserv.ieee.org [mailto:owner-stds-802-16-mobile@listserv.ieee.org] On Behalf Of Bill Gage
Sent: Wednesday, August 04, 2004 7:06 AM
To: STDS-802-16-MOBILE@listserv.ieee.org
Subject: Re: [STDS-802-16-MOBILE] [Harmonization] Question for FBSS

Are we (incorrectly) using the term "anchor BS" for two different
concepts?

Dave McGinniss appears to be referring to the *mobility* anchor point.
This is the BS (or BSC) that receives downlink packets and distributes
them to members of the active set. The mobility anchor point is tied
to the IP address assigned to the MSS and, in normal circumstances,
remains the mobility anchor point for as long as the MSS is using that
IP address.

If you have a flat network, with a BS acting as the mobility anchor
point, then Dave is correct -- there will be a significant impact on
terrestrial backhaul requirements due to "tromboning" effects. The
total traffic over the backhaul link will be the traffic associated
with MSS served by that BS plus the replicated traffic forwarded by
that BS to other members of the active set for those MSS where it is
acting as the (mobility) anchor. Dimensioning of the backhaul link can
be tricky because you have to make assumptions about the number of MSS
roaming outside the serving area of the anchor BS, about the number of
MSS simultaneously in FBSS/SHO and about the number of members in an
active set.

If you have a hierarchical network with a centralised entity (e.g.
BSC) acting as the mobility anchor point and distributing traffic to
the members of the active set, then the backhaul link just has to
handle the traffic associated with MSS served by that BS. Dimensioning
of the backhaul link is fairly straight forward because it is
ultimately tied to the capacity of the radio link.

Mary Chion is referring to the BS that, in FBSS, is selected from the
active set to pass traffic to and from the MSS. In a flat network,
this may or may not be equivalent to the anchor BS. In SHO, the anchor
BS is the one terminating the basic CID for a MSS. The role of
"anchor" can change dynamically according to radio link conditions.

Perhaps the entity in the FBSS scenario should be called the "serving
BS" and the entity in the SHO should be called the "controlling BS".
The role of "mobility anchor point" may be outside the scope of
802.16.

Cheers ...