Re: [STDS-802-16-MOBILE] Error in CMAC value calculation in 16e/D11?

There is now a third version of 403 (C80216e-05/403r2) on the server.
I'll explain..

My inbox has been buzzing with discussion of 7.5.5.4.1.

Pieter first pointed out that the fields didn't align well and suggested
a solution that I wrote up in 403r1.

Others pointed out that the Key sequence number was meant to be the
AKID. I looked into this and looked at the old text (back when it was
D7). Looking at that I recognized the text as being something I'm pretty
sure I wrote. I didn't recognize this in D11 because various parts has
changed and my memory clearly doesn't work that well.

So the point of having the AKID in there is for it to be unique and bind
the CMAC value to the instance of the AK security context that was
created. Putting the 4 bit sequence number in there not only breaks the
alignment of the data, but breaks the point of the AKID. The key
sequence number is transmitted in the CMAC tuple, but the AK context
holds the mapping of the sequence number to the actual AKID, so the 64
bit AKID can be used in the computation, while the smaller 4 bit
sequence number is what is sent over the air in the management packets.

So I've prepared a version r2 of 403 that makes the change back to using
the AKID in the CMAC value calculation and puts in clarifying text
pointing to the AK context where the key sequence number, the AK and the
AKID are held.

This needs to be submitted today, but we have a week to discuss the
issue and r1 and r2 of 403 cover both cases, one with the alignment
fixed and one with the whole computation fixes, so the group resolution
could adopt one or the other. I believe that r2 is the correct option,
but I would appreciate confirmation from the other security people.

Thanks,
DJ

-- subnote.. Given that I assured my wife I'm taking a break from
standards for a while, I'm sure doing a bad job this week.