From: owner-stds-802-16-tg3@majordomo.ieee.org
[mailto:owner-stds-802-16-tg3@majordomo.ieee.org]On Behalf Of John Sydor
Sent: Thursday, October 04, 2001 6:08 PM
To: stds-802-16-tg3@ieee.org
Cc: r.b.marks@ieee.org
Subject: stds-802-16-tg3: RSSI/CCI summary

Brief summary of our 4 Oct Conference Call. Sorry for the delay in starting
the CC…finger problems. In summary: TG1 already has a mechanism for getting
the SS to undertake a RSSI measurement. Tal will post the reference to  TG1
on the email reflector. Consensus seems to be building that the RSSI
reading should be long term in duration ( ie significantly longer than a
frame duration and probably over the duration of several seconds).This
reading should be an absolute measurement (such as dBm/MHz or simply dB per
channel BW) and may also include a BER and an identifier indicating the
type of demodulation technique used to determine BER. Transmitting a mean
signal strength variance has also been discussed, and would provide a
reasonable parameter indicative of  propagation channel stability. We still
have to discuss CCI and how this is to be determined. The issue of
separation of Interference to Noise is also up for discussion.
These issues will be discussed in the next CC which is slated
for  Wednesday 10 October 2001 at 11:30 Hrs EST

I would also encourage all participants to review document IEEE
802.16ab-01/01rl.July2001 (Air Interface for Fixed Broadband Wireless ……)
Pages 37-42
(Sections 6.2.7.7-6.7.7.8.3) where there  is a  description of the MAC
messages that are intended for the communication of RSSI/CCI information.

Thanks to all for  participating.

John Sydor
Research Broad Band Wireless
Communications Research Centre