Re: stds-802-16-tg3: Contention Bandwidth Request for OFDM

Subbu,

I reran the simulations this morning using 1 millisecond frame duration
instead of 5 milliseconds.  Using the 6 MHz channels, and a guard fraction
of (1/8)=0.125, this results in an OFDM symbol duration of

   (1+.125)*(7/8)*(256/6e6) = 42 microseconds

Thus, there are only

   (1 millisecond/42 microsecond) = 24

OFDM symbols per frame.  Assuming that each frame is identical, and because
each contention slot requires two OFDM symbols, provisioning the minimum of
one contention slot per frame, the lowest possible contention allocation is
therefore

    2/24 = 8.33%

of the symbols allocated to contention.

I ran focused contention with code length = 4, S/AWGN = 15 dB.  Comparing it
with the code-length 4 curve of Figure 6 in our contribution, I found the
results to be just a "hair" worse.  (The biggest difference was at the last
data point, x=0.4; the value increased from 4.85 frames to 4.97 frames).

I believe that this "hair" increase is explained by the reduction in
contention allocation from 10% as in Figure 6, to 8.33% in the new
simulation.  Apparently, the reduction in frame length from 5 milliseconds
to 1 milliseconds had no effect.

Let me know if you're interested in any other channel bandwidths or FFT
sizes, which would change the OFDM symbol duration and thus the number of
OFDM symbols per frame.

In the meantime, we're going to run the 1-millisecond frames with slotted
ALOHA, study your other comments, and see if we can simulate the "controlled
contention" you suggested.  Thanks very much for your work on this.

Jerry