RE: stds-802-16-tg3: support for AAS (C802.16a-02/49)

Hi everybody,

I hope everybody would find C802.16a-02/49 a constructive effort towards
improvement of the AAS support in the standard.
Responding to Nico's comment about still having two incompatible OFDMA
modes, I wanted to draw everybody's attention to the fact that even without
OFDMA2 we have 32 sub-carrier permutations in OFDMA (see equation 24 in page
203 of IEEE P802.16a/D3-2002, and note the parameter IDcell). The reason for
having these permutations is to combat inter-sector and inter-cell
interference.
It could be argued that having these permutations (which exist in the uplink
as well as the downlink) makes the OFDMA mode non-interoperable with itself,
but this is not the case, since the OFDMA signal can be identified and
synchronized to without knowing the permutation in use. After this
synchronization is achieved, a simple scanning procedure can be used to
identify the permutations (there are only 32 possibilities). This scanning
procedure is only used on initial network entry.

Given this, the addition of yet another permutation, adds a negligible
complexity to OFDMA implementation, and certainly does not render the modes
non-interoperable.

Regards,
Yigal