stds-802-16: 802.16, not 802, will deal with "ATM vs. IP"

[Notice: It is the policy of 802.16 to treat messages posted here as non-confidential.]

[I've revised the subject line to reflect the subject. The thread I'm
replying to is
<http://grouper.ieee.org/groups/802/16/arc/802-16list/msg00032.html>.]

Steve Farrell wrote:

>Hi gang,
>
>I would like to continue this line of dialog because I think that this is
>important...regarding Marianna's responses...

I agree completely. It's time we get this issue out and on the table. Now
that we have a contribution submission process, everyone will have a chance
to make suggestions and offer supporting documentation.

>1. ATM vs. IP:
>Let me step back and ask a dumb question, if IEEE 802 would not accept an ATM
>based addressing mode and this group defines an IP only based addressing mode,
>than the standard will most likely be completely incompatible with the lion's
>share of the LMDS equipment deployments over the next 3 years.  Does that make
>sense for us? Does this group run the risk of creating a standard that noone
>adopts?
>
>Is everyone in agreement that ATM vs. IP over the air may fall outside the
>scope
>of this group?

802.16 will deal with the ATM vs. IP issue on its merits. 802 rules will
not make our decision for us.

Take a look at 802.14: it's developing a spec based on ATM frames, in spite
of the fact that the DOCSIS spec is IP packet based. Regardless of whether
or not that's a good idea or not, they are going ahead with it, and 802 is
not constraining them.

I've gotten confirmation from 802 SEC Chair Jim Carlo that this is 802.16's
decision to make. Let's follow Marianna and Steve's lead: let's start
deciding!

Roger

Dr. Roger B. Marks  <mailto:marks@nist.gov>
Chair, IEEE 802.16 Working Group on Broadband Wireless Access
National Wireless Electronic Systems Testbed (N-WEST) <http://nwest.nist.gov>
National Institute of Standards and Technology/Boulder, CO
phone: 1-303-497-3037  fax: 1-303-497-7828