RE: stds-802-16: SYSREQ: BRAN-HA Reference Diagram

[Notice: It is the policy of 802.16 to treat messages posted here as non-confidential.]

    Hi All,

   I agree with Chris that the 802.16 Sys. Req. document has to address
many of the points of BRAN-HA Req. document.

   Some comments:

   1. The BRAN HA General Reference Model is ATM oriented.
   2. It hides an internal ATM switch, at the Access Point.
   3. It hides a Router, in the Access Point, when using IP backbone as
IP interface.
   4. It hides a Router, inside the User Terminal, if he will be
connected to anything different from ATM.
   5. It hides a complicated queuing system, even BRAN has no intention
to send packets with 1 ATM payload over the air!
      They have to be recombined, per destination, in order to achieve
some normal spectrum efficiency at these speeds!

  The model was copied from the UMTS standards, its implementation will
provide a high cost solution, really targeting only the business market.
If we want to draft standards that will give solutions for SoHo or low
end user also, we have to provide suitable architectures.

 Marianna