stds-802-16: Call for contribution - PHY 802.16

In 802.16 Meeting #0, we decided to allocate some time for discussions about the PHY layer. Although there is yet some work to be done on the system requirements subject, we (as a group) felt that there are some generic PHY issues which can be discussed without the need to wait for all necessary inputs from the system requirements.

In order to kick-off the discussions with some guidelines, I have written up a tentative agenda for a PHY specification (Document 802.16cc-99/01 <http://grouper.ieee.org/groups/802/16/phy/contrib/80216pc-99_01.pdf>). Nevertheless I would welcome any other contribution of the same spirit. At this point I would recommend to postpone discussions of specific PHYs (as it seems to me to early for our first meeting) and in exchange I refer you all to an ETSI/BRAN document "Inventory of Broadband Radio Technologies and Techniques TR 101 173" (which can be downloaded from the ETSI web site). This document is an unbiased survey of all known PHY technologies which may be applicable for our case. With the group permission I can give in our Montreal meeting a presentation which summarizes similar issues addressed by this document. Another step in this spirit are documents such as 802.16sc-99/13 ("Dispersive Fade Margin: A Physical Layer Performance Metric," by John Liebetreu <http://grouper.ieee.org/groups/802/16/sysreq/contributions/80216sc-99_13.pdf>), which deals with the issue of comparing PHYs.

Bottom line - I encourage anyone interested in discussions of this nature to contribute (in writing and in advance) and attend our meeting. Please submit contributions using the 802.16 Document Submission Template <http://grouper.ieee.org/groups/802/16/docs/802_16_template.doc>.

Regards,

Jay