RE: stds-802-16:SYSREQ

[Notice: It is the policy of 802.16 to treat messages posted here as non-confidential.]

I think I need to publicly apologize to Brian, and try to clear the air so
that we can be effective moving forward.

First, I truly didn't mean for my comments to reflect personally on Brian or
how he handled the meeting in Montreal.  I thought he handled the meeting
well, considering he was filing 2-3 different roles (Chairs, Editor,
Parliamentarian), and that there were many new people who had to be brought
up to speed on what 802.16 is about, and how we are going to do things.

Brian clearly did a great deal of work in pulling together a draft of the
Systems Requirements document, given a) few contributions, b) many late
contributions (including mine), and c) a lack of on-line discussion before
the meeting.  I for one didn't expect to have any substantial on-line
discussion.  I'm used to standards activities were there is some on-line
discussion, but where the real work is done at the meeting.  Perhaps
everyone else was just trying to get their contribution done, as was my
case.  However, the upshot of my comments is that the editors job should by
definition be easier than it has been for Brian up to now.  If there are
specific, agreed upon text changes, then the editor doesn't have to provide
it before the meeting.  Of course there will still be a lot of work in
making a readable document, and every purely editorial change shouldn't need
to be voted by the full membership.

To address Brian's flames:
1) The idea of representing the individual and not the company is different
than other standards groups I've attended; I need to get used to the IEEE
way.
2) I didn't know I was the Vice Chair!  I had to leave before the last half
of the closing plenary, and I've been out of the office, and am just now
reading all the e-mails.

Again, I want to apologize to Brian, and to the group if it appears I was
unfair with my comments.  See you in Denver.

DWJ
--
-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0
-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-