stds-802-16: Fwd: ATM Forum SVCs and PVCs for use by 802

[Notice: It is the policy of 802.16 to treat messages posted here as non-confidential.]

The Chair of 802.14, Robert Russell, sent out the note below. He included a letter from the ATM Forum and a 22-page draft ATM Forum document.

I don't know if I am at liberty to forward the document. I've included the first few lines of it, plus the letter.

Let me know if you have any comments on the relevance of this issue to 802.16. Also let me know if you need more information.

Roger

>From: "Robert Russell" <robert.russell@knology.com>
>To: stds-802-sec@ieee.org
>Date: Tue, 21 Sep 1999 17:35:27 -0400
>Subject: ATM Forum SVCs and PVCs for use by 802
>
>To whom it may benefit,
>The 802.14 committee has been working with the ATM Forum to secure a
>relationship between their Virtual Connections and our Local Identifiers.  In
>their latest Signaling 4.0 they have established a binding between the ATM
>Switched Virtual Connections (SVCs) and the Permanent Virtual Connections (PVCs) for use by other MANs such as 802.14 or ADSL.  Attached is their latest liaison relating to this and the technical paper to which the details are currently being balloted by the ATM Forum.
>
>We hope that y'all can also find benefit from this coordination, in particular
>802.1 and 802.2.  If such is the case, we recommend that we suggest the ATM
>Forum to utilize a more generic "IEEE 802 Identifier" in lieu of the "IEEE
>802.14 Identifier.
>
>Suggestions,?
>
>Robert Russell
>Dot 14

------------------------attached letter-----------------------
ATMF/99L-0010
The ATM Forum
September 20, 1999
Subject: Assignment of ATM Virtual Connections to 802.14 Local Identifiers

Mr. Robert Russell,
Chairman, IEEE P802.14

Dear Mr. Russell,
In response to past requests from IEEE P802.14 (and also to requests for similar capabilities from the ADSL Forum), the ATM Forum has developed a specification for extensions to our Signalling 4.0 specification, which may be used to perform bindings between ATM Switched Virtual Connections (SVCs) and IEEE 802.14 Local Identifiers. This specification is subject of a Straw Ballot resulting from our July, 1999 meeting. We anticipate ballot comment resolution at our September meeting, to be followed by a Final Ballot shortly thereafter. The draft specification is attached for your information.

Work is also proceeding on an addendum to our ILMI specification, which may be used to perform bindings between ATM Permanent Virtual Connections (PVCs) and local identifiers.

If you have any questions or would like additional information, please get back to me.

Regards,
Rick Townsend
Chair of the Technical Committee, ATM Forum
This document includes information on work in progress within The ATM Forum. The information contained is subject to change after more study. It is offered for discussion in the interest of maximizing the availability of interoperable equipment.

PHY/MAC Identifier
Addendum to UNI Signaling 4.0

STR-CS-UNI-MAC-01.01
Straw Ballot
September, 1999

1. Introduction
This addendum to the ATM Forum UNI Signalling 4.0 Specification is intended for use with UNIs that use certain ATM PHY layers which are typically associated with Residential Broadband access networks.