From: Marianna Goldhammer [mailto:mariannag@breezecom.co.il]
Sent: Monday, July 31, 2000 10:08 AM
To: Roger B. Marks; stds-802-16@ieee.org
Subject: RE: stds-802-16: Published: Development Plan for 802.16.3 Air
Int erface Standard

Dear Roger,

I have read the 802.16.1 MAC document and I have serious doubts that it is
suitable
to dot3 FRD. On the other side, this MAC successfully fulfils its
requirements.

Trying to modify it in order to support dot3 requirements will actually stop
the 802.16.1
 project. According to my opinion, the two groups are focused on different
markets
 with different bandwidth availability, that require different MACs. It will
take probably
one year to dot3 group to agree on MAC mechanisms, and you can expect some
of
them as being antagonist to the dot1 MAC mechanisms and philosophy.

Please consider to focus 802.16.1 MAC drafting process to the "above 10GHz"
bands
only. It was a difficult process to reach this stage of the unified MAC
specification, it
will be very risky to invite the negative votes of many of the dot3 members.

I have no doubts that the dot3 group will try to adopt the 802.16.1 positive
elements, as
 part of its work.

Best Regards,

Marianna