stds-802-16: Published: Call for Comments on 802.16.1-00/01

Call for Comments on 802.16.1-00/01
Deadline:   Friday 1 September 2000
===================================

Title:           IEEE 802.16.1 Final Task Group Review
Document Number: IEEE 802.16.1-00/02
Note:            Text of the Call for Comments to follow as a
standalone email message.

Publication of this document initiates the Final Task Group Review of
the working version (IEEE 802.16.1-00/01
<http://ieee802.org/16/tg1/docs/802161-00_01.pdf>) of IEEE 802.16.1
("Air Interface for Fixed Broadband Wireless Access Systems") as
produced by 802.16's Task Group 1. This review is being carried out
as a formal comment and comment resolution process with regard to the
working document. Comments are due on 1 September. Our intent is to
develop a draft that will be the basis of a formal Working Group
Letter Ballot beginning right after Session #9.

Although we call this procedure a Final Task Group Review, it is open
to all interested parties whether or not they have participated in
the Task Group. Note that only Members and Observers will be eligible
to participate in the Working Group Letter Ballot later on, so this
would be a particularly opportune time for those who are neither to
make their suggestions known. Please let us know of all the problems
you find, both large and small, editorial as well as technical. [You
will see that, due to an incomplete transition to FrameMaker format,
a few editorial loose ends are still dangling about. We owe a debt of
gratitude to the Task Group 1 Editorial Team for the hard work in
pulling the materials together since Session #8.]

I'd like to reiterate that ALL 802.16 Members will be voters in the
Working Group Letter Ballot. We have a great opportunity to make sure
the portions of the document relevant to the other Task Groups are in
line with their requirements. We strongly encourage ALL those
involved in 802.16 to participate seriously in the review process by
providing specific responses to this Call for Comments. With your
help, we will be able to quickly drive to a final standard that
addresses all of our needs.

Publication of IEEE 802.16.1-00/01 is another milestone in the
history of 802.16. It marks one more in a great series of
accomplishments by many technically-skilled members who have become
skilled in standards-making. In the process, we have discovered for
ourselves that the IEEE's open process leads to technically superb,
high-impact results in a very short time. Congratulations to all of
the Task Group contributors for the great ideas, hard work, and
compromise that have kept us on schedule with the very aggressive
timetable we developed in September 1999.

Roger

--

Dr. Roger B. Marks  <mailto:marks@nist.gov>
Chair, IEEE 802.16 WG on Broadband Wireless Access <http://wirelessman.org>