stds-802-16: TG1 Comment

[Submitter's Last Name]
McMullin

[Submitter's First Name]
Rod

[Membership Status: (M)ember; (O)bserver; (N)either]

[Starting Page #]
136

[Starting Line #]
58

[(T)echnical for Content-Related Material; (E)ditorial for typos, grammar,
etc.;
(G)eneral to identify a problem but not a solution; (TBD) for a
comment on a section marked "TBD"]

[Detailed Description of Proposed Insertion, Deletion, Change]
Remove Section 2.11.1.

[Reason for Edit]
Duplicate text in Section 2.11.2.

[Submitter's Last Name]
McMullin

[Submitter's First Name]
Rod

[Membership Status: (M)ember; (O)bserver; (N)either]

[Starting Page #]
137

[Starting Line #]
18

[(T)echnical for Content-Related Material; (E)ditorial for typos, grammar,
etc.;
(G)eneral to identify a problem but not a solution; (TBD) for a
comment on a section marked "TBD"]

[Detailed Description of Proposed Insertion, Deletion, Change]
Remove, "d) synchronization of the MPEG packetization"

[Reason for Edit]
Item d) was removed during the comment resolution process at Session 9.

[Submitter's Last Name]
McMullin

[Submitter's First Name]
Rod

[Membership Status: (M)ember; (O)bserver; (N)either]

[Starting Page #]
137

[Starting Line #]
25

[(T)echnical for Content-Related Material; (E)ditorial for typos, grammar,
etc.;
(G)eneral to identify a problem but not a solution; (TBD) for a
comment on a section marked "TBD"]

[Detailed Description of Proposed Insertion, Deletion, Change]
Remove, "On detecting the well-known BWA PID, along with a payload unit
 start indicator per [H.222], it delivers the MAC frame to the MAC
sublayer."

[Reason for Edit]
PID and H.222 are not de-referenced anywhere in the document.

[Submitter's Last Name]
McMullin

[Submitter's First Name]
Rod

[Membership Status: (M)ember; (O)bserver; (N)either]

[Starting Page #]
137

[Starting Line #]
35

[(T)echnical for Content-Related Material; (E)ditorial for typos, grammar,
etc.;
(G)eneral to identify a problem but not a solution; (TBD) for a
comment on a section marked "TBD"]

[Detailed Description of Proposed Insertion, Deletion, Change]
Changes:
1. Add row to Table 2 (page 32)
| SS | Lost Sync Interval | max time expired since the last received UCD
 OR DCD message | | | 5 * the greater of the max UCD Interval or max DCD
 interval |
2. Add row to Table 2:
| BS | DCD Interval | time between transmission of DCD messages | |
 | 2 sec |
3. Change 'or' to 'and': "If the Lost SYNC Interval (refer to
Section 2.2) has elapsed without a valid UCD and DCD message, a
CPE shall not use the upstream and shall try to re-establish
synchronization again."

 [Reason for Edit]
Section 2.2 does not define a "Lost Sync Interval" or a DCD interval.

[Submitter's Last Name]
McMullin

[Submitter's First Name]
Rod

[Membership Status: (M)ember; (O)bserver; (N)either]

[Starting Page #]
140

[Starting Line #]
3

[(T)echnical for Content-Related Material; (E)ditorial for typos, grammar,
etc.;
(G)eneral to identify a problem but not a solution; (TBD) for a
comment on a section marked "TBD"]

[Detailed Description of Proposed Insertion, Deletion, Change]
1. In Section 2.2 (page 32, line 7) change 'Sync Interval' to 'DL-MAP
Interval'
 and change 'SYNC messages' to 'DL-MAP messages'.
2. In Section 2.2 (page 32, line 24) change 'Sync message' to 'DL-MAP
message'.

[Reason for Edit]
Section 2.11.5 states a requirement for periodic transmission of DL-MAPs but
Section 2.2 does not provide a DL-MAP Interval;... however, it looks like
the
 'Sync Message' referenced in Section 2 satisfies the intent. The 'Sync
Interval'
 and 'Sync Message' specified in Section 2.2 are not referenced elsewhere
 in the document.

[Submitter's Last Name]
McMullin

[Submitter's First Name]
Rod

[Membership Status: (M)ember; (O)bserver; (N)either]

[Starting Page #]
142

[Starting Line #]
23

[(T)echnical for Content-Related Material; (E)ditorial for typos, grammar,
etc.;
(G)eneral to identify a problem but not a solution; (TBD) for a
comment on a section marked "TBD"]

[Detailed Description of Proposed Insertion, Deletion, Change]
Remove the word, "multicast".

[Reason for Edit]
...not sure it makes sense to multicast an Initial Maintenance opportunity
as
the SS would need prior knowledge to associate itself with the CID. The only
multicast service currently defined offers  contention slots to SSs for
bandwidth requests. (also applies to line 48)

[Submitter's Last Name]
McMullin

[Submitter's First Name]
Rod

[Membership Status: (M)ember; (O)bserver; (N)either]

[Starting Page #]
145

[Starting Line #]
3

[(T)echnical for Content-Related Material; (E)ditorial for typos, grammar,
etc.;
(G)eneral to identify a problem but not a solution; (TBD) for a
comment on a section marked "TBD"]

[Detailed Description of Proposed Insertion, Deletion, Change]
Change "Broadcast" to "Unicast".

[Reason for Edit]
typo

[Submitter's Last Name]
McMullin

[Submitter's First Name]
Rod

[Membership Status: (M)ember; (O)bserver; (N)either]

[Starting Page #]
147

[Starting Line #]
36

[(T)echnical for Content-Related Material; (E)ditorial for typos, grammar,
etc.;
(G)eneral to identify a problem but not a solution; (TBD) for a
comment on a section marked "TBD"]

[Detailed Description of Proposed Insertion, Deletion, Change]
Add new paragraph. "Alternatively, the IP Address and Subnet Mask may be
locally
 configured at the SS."

[Reason for Edit]
...sounds like DHCP is the only way to get an IP address, if this is not so,
 ignore this comment. In time, routers will incorporate the 802.16 MAC/PHY
as just another port. DHCP is a host configuration protocol; it is not
recommended for configuring routers. For such devices it is desirable to
manually configure the address and mask. In order to use a permanent,
 'designed' IP address, the DHCP server will need to be manually configured
 with the MAC addr and IP addr of the SS...may as well provide the option
 to skip the DHCP step and manually configure the device. DHCP does allow
 for devices to have their IP addresses externally configured but to still
 use DHCP to obtain additional parameters, via DHCPINFORM. However, it will
 remain undesirable for a router to rely on a remote device to boot.

The use of DHCP_DISCOVER presents an implementation constraint: IP
broadcasts
 are constrained to a single network, therefore, the BS must accept and
process DHCP_DISCOVER packets as a server or relay agent. Examining the IP
convergence layer at the BS may shed some additional light here.

[Submitter's Last Name]
McMullin

[Submitter's First Name]
Rod

[Membership Status: (M)ember; (O)bserver; (N)either]

[Starting Page #]
147

[Starting Line #]
1

[(T)echnical for Content-Related Material; (E)ditorial for typos, grammar,
etc.;
(G)eneral to identify a problem but not a solution; (TBD) for a
comment on a section marked "TBD"]

[Detailed Description of Proposed Insertion, Deletion, Change]
Lines 1 through 8 are Notes 1 and 2 for the previous diagram. Identify as
such.

[Reason for Edit]
Clarify text.

[Submitter's Last Name]
McMullin

[Submitter's First Name]
Rod

[Membership Status: (M)ember; (O)bserver; (N)either]

[Starting Page #]
115

[Starting Line #]
25

[(T)echnical for Content-Related Material; (E)ditorial for typos, grammar,
etc.;
(G)eneral to identify a problem but not a solution; (TBD) for a
comment on a section marked "TBD"]

[Detailed Description of Proposed Insertion, Deletion, Change]
Remove "and symbol": The PHY Control portion of the Frame Control Header
 contains a map stating the PS and symbol at which modulation will change.

[Reason for Edit]
The DL-MAP specifies the PS at the start of each burst. It is implied, but
not
specified that the first symbol of the PS is where the modulation changes.

[Submitter's Last Name]
McMullin

[Submitter's First Name]
Rod

[Membership Status: (M)ember; (O)bserver; (N)either]

[Starting Page #]
70

[Starting Line #]
42

[(T)echnical for Content-Related Material; (E)ditorial for typos, grammar,
etc.;
(G)eneral to identify a problem but not a solution; (TBD) for a
comment on a section marked "TBD"]

[Detailed Description of Proposed Insertion, Deletion, Change]
Remove the sentence, "A separate DCD message shall be transmitted for each
active down-link."

[Reason for Edit]
...hoping this is a cut and paste problem. The remainder of the document
implicitly associates 1 downstream channel with a single instance of the
 .16.1 MAC. If the intention is to support a single instance of the MAC
with more than one downstream channel this should be clarified. If the
intention is to tell SSs of other downstream channels (MAC instances)
available in a given sector, the frequency should be included in the message
 to assist SSs in finding the other channels. (if multiple DCDs are
received,
 to be sure of what the current downstream channel is, the SS needs to look
at the Downlink Channel ID in the UCD message and associate it with
a given DCD)

[Submitter's Last Name]
McMullin

[Submitter's First Name]
Rod

[Membership Status: (M)ember; (O)bserver; (N)either]

[Starting Page #]
20

[Starting Line #]
21

[(T)echnical for Content-Related Material; (E)ditorial for typos, grammar,
etc.;
(G)eneral to identify a problem but not a solution; (TBD) for a
comment on a section marked "TBD"]

[Detailed Description of Proposed Insertion, Deletion, Change]
Add the sentence, "Sequence number 0xFFFFFFFF shall be used for unsolicited

[Reason for Edit]
There is an extremely rare possibility that the sequence number used in an
 unsolicited response is the same as the sequence number that a node is
waiting to receive a 'solicited' response to. We can roll the dice (do
nothing)
, pick a unique sequence number for unsolicited responses, add a new entry
 the request primitive...

[Submitter's Last Name]
McMullin

[Submitter's First Name]
Rod

[Membership Status: (M)ember; (O)bserver; (N)either]

[Starting Page #]
22

[Starting Line #]
21

[(T)echnical for Content-Related Material; (E)ditorial for typos, grammar,
etc.;
(G)eneral to identify a problem but not a solution; (TBD) for a
comment on a section marked "TBD"]

[Detailed Description of Proposed Insertion, Deletion, Change]
Change "... CID contained in the INDICATION."  To "...CID contained in the
DSA
 header bearing the indication."

[Reason for Edit]
There is no CID attribute in the INDICATION primitive and not sure it make
 sense to put one there...

[Submitter's Last Name]
McMullin

[Submitter's First Name]
Rod

[Membership Status: (M)ember; (O)bserver; (N)either]

[Starting Page #]
22

[Starting Line #]
15

[(T)echnical for Content-Related Material; (E)ditorial for typos, grammar,
etc.;
(G)eneral to identify a problem but not a solution; (TBD) for a
comment on a section marked "TBD"]

[Detailed Description of Proposed Insertion, Deletion, Change]
Change; "When the CL this primitive from ," to, "When the CL receives
 this primitive,"

[Reason for Edit]
text is garbled

[Submitter's Last Name]
McMullin

[Submitter's First Name]
Rod

[Membership Status: (M)ember; (O)bserver; (N)either]

[Starting Page #]
22

[Starting Line #]
45

[(T)echnical for Content-Related Material; (E)ditorial for typos, grammar,
etc.;
(G)eneral to identify a problem but not a solution; (TBD) for a
comment on a section marked "TBD"]

[Detailed Description of Proposed Insertion, Deletion, Change]
Remove; "ARQ parameters"

[Reason for Edit]
There is nothing in the request primitive to balance the ARQ response,
unless
 the CRCrequest really means ARQrequest. Probably best to negotiate ARQ
through
 service flow parameters.

[Submitter's Last Name]
McMullin

[Submitter's First Name]
Rod

[Membership Status: (M)ember; (O)bserver; (N)either]

[Starting Page #]
22

[Starting Line #]
49

[(T)echnical for Content-Related Material; (E)ditorial for typos, grammar,
etc.;
(G)eneral to identify a problem but not a solution; (TBD) for a
comment on a section marked "TBD"]

[Detailed Description of Proposed Insertion, Deletion, Change]
Change; "then this value shall be NULL." To, "then this value shall be
ignored."

[Reason for Edit]
The representation of NULL could be an issue; table 1 indicates that CID
 would be typed as an unsigned 16 bit integer, and all values are defined.
 It is safe to ignore the CID based on the "response code".

[Submitter's Last Name]
McMullin

[Submitter's First Name]
Rod

[Membership Status: (M)ember; (O)bserver; (N)either]

[Starting Page #]
55

[Starting Line #]
35

[(T)echnical for Content-Related Material; (E)ditorial for typos, grammar,
etc.;
(G)eneral to identify a problem but not a solution; (TBD) for a
comment on a section marked "TBD"]

[Detailed Description of Proposed Insertion, Deletion, Change]
Remove; "SS ethernet MAC address"

[Reason for Edit]
The very first time an SS registers it needs to provide the its ethernet MAC
 address in the initial ranging request. Thus, the EUI needs to be installed
 before receiving the configuration file.

This Section would also require a factory installed EUI to be overwritten by
 a configuration file setting.

[Submitter's Last Name]
McMullin

[Submitter's First Name]
Rod

[Membership Status: (M)ember; (O)bserver; (N)either]

[Starting Page #]
55

[Starting Line #]
36

[(T)echnical for Content-Related Material; (E)ditorial for typos, grammar,
etc.;
(G)eneral to identify a problem but not a solution; (TBD) for a
comment on a section marked "TBD"]

[Detailed Description of Proposed Insertion, Deletion, Change]
Remove, "Maximum Number of SSs"

[Reason for Edit]
The, "Maximum Number of SSs", is not relevant to an SS. What would an
 SS do with this number?

[Submitter's Last Name]
McMullin

[Submitter's First Name]
Rod

[Membership Status: (M)ember; (O)bserver; (N)either]

[Starting Page #]
31

[Starting Line #]
26

[(T)echnical for Content-Related Material; (E)ditorial for typos, grammar,
etc.;
(G)eneral to identify a problem but not a solution; (TBD) for a
comment on a section marked "TBD"]

[Detailed Description of Proposed Insertion, Deletion, Change]
Reserve a block of CIDs for future use.

[Reason for Edit]
No CIDs have been assigned for Multicast Traffic in the downstream. This
will
 make it difficult to support convergence requirements for IP multicast.
(The
 security section makes reference to IP multicast traffic and offers some
services; e.g. Section 2.16.2.2.15, page 256.)...perhaps there are other
reasons
 to reserve a few CIDs.

[Submitter's Last Name]
McMullin

[Submitter's First Name]
Rod

[Membership Status: (M)ember; (O)bserver; (N)either]

[Starting Page #]
73

[Starting Line #]
42

[(T)echnical for Content-Related Material; (E)ditorial for typos, grammar,
etc.;
(G)eneral to identify a problem but not a solution; (TBD) for a
comment on a section marked "TBD"]

[Detailed Description of Proposed Insertion, Deletion, Change]
Change "UCD" to "DCD" and remove the following sentence from line 44; "This
value is also referenced from the UL-MAP messages."

[Reason for Edit]
The text is a  cut-and-paste from the UCD description; changes tailor it
for the DCD.

[Submitter's Last Name]
Lewis
[Submitter's First Name]
Niclas
[Membership Status: (M)ember; (O)bserver; (N)either]
[Starting Page #]
271
[Starting Line #]
10
[(T)echnical for Content-Related Material; (E)ditorial for typos, grammar,
etc.;
(G)eneral to identify a problem but not a solution; (TBD) for a
comment on a section marked "TBD"]
[Detailed Description of Proposed Insertion, Deletion, Change]
The pointer byte refers to the beginning of a MAC frame or the beginning of
stuff
 bytes within a TC layer packet. A problem will arise in the case when a MAC
frame is less than 186 bytes and is followed by stuff bytes since a single
pointer is required to identify two situations within the same TC layer
packet.

[Reason for Edit]
To clarify usage of pointer byte in convergence layer packet

[Submitter's Last Name]
Lewis
[Submitter's First Name]
Niclas
[Membership Status: (M)ember; (O)bserver; (N)either]
[Starting Page #]
275
[Starting Line #]
1
[(T)echnical for Content-Related Material; (E)ditorial for typos, grammar,
etc.;
(G)eneral to identify a problem but not a solution; (TBD) for a
comment on a section marked "TBD"]
[Detailed Description of Proposed Insertion, Deletion, Change]
The depth of the interleaver is fixed across all of the different baud rates
 suggested for the standard. As the baud rate increases the span over which
the interleaver operates is reduced which decreases its effectiveness. Is
the
 depth adequate for the maximum symbol rate specified of 43.4 Mbaud?
[Reason for Edit]

[Submitter's Last Name]
Lewis
[Submitter's First Name]
Niclas
[Membership Status: (M)ember; (O)bserver; (N)either]
[Starting Page #]
311
[Starting Line #]
44
[(T)echnical for Content-Related Material; (E)ditorial for typos, grammar,
etc.;
(G)eneral to identify a problem but not a solution; (TBD) for a
comment on a section marked "TBD"]
[Detailed Description of Proposed Insertion, Deletion, Change]
Suggest only having one roll-off factor defined in order to reduce the
number of
system parameters. ETSI BRAN has a roll off of 0.3. With this roll off
factor the
channel size tables would be:
Channel Size    Baud Rate(Mbaud)    Recommended Frame Size    PS/frame
12.5                     9.6                     2            4800
14                        10.75                2              5375
20                         15.3                 1             3825
25                         19.2                 1             4800
28                         21.5                 1             5375
36                         27.6                 1             6900
40                         30.6                0.5            3825
50                         38.4                0.5            4800
[Reason for Edit]
Reduce number of system configuration parameters