stds-802-16: IEEE 802.16 Press Release

Attached is a copy of the latest press release draft that was approved by
the working group.  As Roger noted in the meeting, there may be changes in
this and we will also make edits to the boilerplate to reflect 802.16 vs 802
standards association.  This is a key step towards creating greater
awareness of IEEE 802.16 in the marketplace.

The current goal is to put this on the wire on November 20th.  The date is
not firm until we coordinate with other people within IEEE that handle the
timing for all releases.

To raise awareness even further, we would like to encourage you to have your
company develop its own release to hit the wire on or after this IEEE
release (Tentatively Nov 20).  Possible topics include the following:

1.  Announce your involvement in the IEEE 802.16 either as a member or
leader in the group
2.  Announce your recent contributions to the last meeting either in the
form of submissions, etc.

Thank you for those of you who have already decided to develop their own
press release. Please let me know if you are planning a release or if you
have further questions.

Dean Chang
IEEE 802.16 publicity committee chair

Dean S.K. Chang
Director of Marketing
Aperto Networks
1637 S Main Street
Milpitas CA 95035
dchang@apertonet.com
Phone:  408 719-9977 Ext 668
FAX:     408 719-9970
(IEEE 802.16 Release, Draft 6 - 11.09.00)

Please contact:
Roger Marks, NIST; 303-497-3037  marks@nist.gov
or
Dean Chang, 408-719-9977 dchang@apertonet.com

IEEE 802.16 Group Makes Key Decisions on Fixed Broadband Wireless Access
Broad industry support for worldwide systems interoperability in CPE, base
stations

TAMPA, Florida, November 20, 2000 - The IEEE 802.16 Working Group on
Broadband Wireless Access, a unit of the Standards Association of the
Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers (IEEE) announced it has
reached several key milestones during its plenary meeting.  During the
session, attended by 215 people from more than XX organizations worldwide,
the Working Group:

-	reviewed 20 proposals for the physical layer for, “Air Interface for Fixed
Broadband Wireless Access Systems in Licensed Bands Targeting 2 to 11 GHz”.
-	initiated a Working Group Letter Ballot to approve a draft of,
“Recommended Practice on Coexistence of Broadband Wireless Access Systems”
targeting 10 - 66 GHz;
-	processed all 584 comments to the consensus working version of the, “Air
Interface for Fixed Broadband Wireless Access Systems Targeting 10 - 66 GHz
in preparation for Working Group letter ballot early 2001  this document has
been downloaded over 20,000 times

”Our members support the rapid development of standards which are critical
to respond to worldwide demand pressures for wireless broadband service
delivery,” said Roger Marks, Chairman of the IEEE 802.16 Working Group.
“Global systems interoperability is an absolute must-have for widespread
service provider adoption and ease of implementation.”

“Our Working Group effort concentrates on open development of accredited
air-interface standards based on public consensus,” emphasized Dean Chang,
Publicity Chair of 802.16.  Historical precedents have favored the universal
appeal of IEEE 802 standards.  Worldwide acceptance of IEEE 802.3 Ethernet,
IEEE 802.11 wireless LAN and other ubiquitous network standards serves as
strong evidence of this trend.”

About the IEEE 802.16
The IEEE Standards Association (IEEE-SA) is an international membership
organization serving today's industries with a complete portfolio of
standards programs. The IEEE-SA is a major contributor to the IEEE, which is
the world's largest technical professional society. IEEE-SA membership,
through its IEEE association, promotes the engineering process by creating,
developing, integrating, sharing and applying knowledge about electro- and
information technologies and sciences for the benefit of humanity and the
profession. More information is found at
<http://standards.ieee.org/sa-mem/index.html>.

###