wpan/ RE: stds-802-16: RE: WLAN/ New Structure of theCoexistence Group

Demos,

	I am not trying to imply in any way that 802.11 and 802.15 own the
unlicenced bands.  Since anyone can use the band I believe the IEEE 802 should
strive to ensure that any systems based on an IEEE 802 standard will coexist with
any other system based on any other IEEE 802 standard.

	By the way, meeting the FCC rules does not ensure coexistence within
the band.  I think that has been demonstrated by 802.11b and Bluetooth.

Steve

>>> "Kostas, Demos" <dkostas@adaptivebroadband.com> 11/29/00 04:18PM >>>

I just want to get another perspective in from that voiced by Steve who
wrote   "...802.16 will be potentially moving into unlicensed bands, that
are used by 802.11 and 802.15." .

That is not accurate in that the UN-II bands are "actually" used (to support
real traffic access for a number of ISP)  by a number of Broadband FWA
systems, that meet the FCC U-NII requirements.  So yes 802.16.4 will work to
reach industry agreements on how the U-NII bands can also support 802.16
standard based FWA systems.  802.11 and 802.15 do not have any legal
exclusive on the U- NII bands.  802.16, 802.11, and 802.15 standard based
equipment have to meet the same FCC regulations on the UNII that the rest of
the equipment that meet the Part 15 Subsection E constraints.

Dr. Demosthenes J. Kostas
Director, Industry Standards
Adaptive Broadband Corporation

3314 Dartmouth Ave