RE: stds-802-16: 802.16 Session #13: 14-18 May 2001 in Orlando,Florida, USA

This is the first time that IEEE 802 is involved in organizing an
interim session. IEEE 802 Vice Chair Paul Nikolich has accepted
responsibility to oversee it. The budget has yet to be developed, but
the intent is to break even. The 802 treasury will absorb any surplus
or deficit.

I met with Paul and the others planning this meeting late last
Thursday night (after midnight). I let them know that 802.16 does not
bundle lunches with its interim sessions and I would prefer not to.
However, the 802.11 and 802.15 chairs were present and were adamant
about including lunches, as they do at all of their interims. Since
they instigated this session and their people helped set it up, and
since there are two of them, they won the argument.

In my opinion, it is not realistic to individually unbundle meals;
the result is an administrative nightmare. If you have suggestions, I
recommended that you discuss them with Paul.

This session is going to be a compromise. Some people will appreciate
the opportunity to visit with the other wireless groups in 802. On
the other hand, some will be unhappy that the venue or arrangements
are not to their liking. We will find out in May how things go.
Because we declined an offer to join the September 802.11/802.15
interim in Australia, we aren't facing an immediate decision on
future joint interims.

Roger