stds-802-16: Published: Government Activity to Increase Benefits from theGlobal Standards System

Title: Government Activity to Increase Benefits from the Global
Standards System
Document Number: IEEE 802.16c-01/13
Source: Roger B. Marks and Robert E. Hebner

Abstract:

In this paper,we review the factors influencing the evolution of the
global standards system. We then discuss some of the approaches that
governments have taken or are exploring in order to modify the system
for the benefit of domestic and worldwide economic development. We
use as an example an effort of the U.S. National Institute of
Standards and Technology to encourage voluntary consensus standards
for interoperable broadband wireless access systems.

This article has been accepted for publication in the Proceedings of
the 2nd IEEE Conference on Standardization and Innovation in
Information Technology <http://siit2001.org> (Boulder, Colorado, USA,
3-5 October 2001).

Purpose:

This document may be of interest in understanding the position of the
IEEE 802.16 Working Group with respect to global standardization.