stds-802-16: ETSI BRAN harmonization issue

Folks,

I'd like to fill you in on a key liaison issue with ETSI BRAN.

For background, please see the recent 802.16 letter to BRAN:
	http://ieee802.org/16/liaison/docs/L80216-02_03.pdf

This letter continues our recent thread of positive cooperation with
the 2-11 GHz ETSI BRAN HIPERMAN project. It goes on to address the
high-frequency HIPERACCESS project. Since all of 802.16 uses the same
MAC, and since HIPERMAN has decided that this MAC will also form its
baseline DLC, the letter suggests that harmonizing the HIPERACCESS
DLC (which is still in draft phase with open technical issues) with
the HIPERMAN DLC would result in global harmony. At the same time, it
proposes a discussion of some kind of harmonization that would allow
802.16 to support the HIPERACCESS PHY.

HIPERACCESS has earlier considered, and rejected, a private proposal
to adopt the 802.16 MAC as a baseline. However, the letter from
802.16 puts this issue in a broader context that might be considered
differently.

Following some recent conversations with the ETSI BRAN leadership, I
think that some kind of harmonization is still at least feasible and
worth an effort. However, this may be the last opportunity to
consider it. Because of the importance of this issue, I have made
plans to attend the ETSI BRAN meeting next week in Sophia Antipolis,
France. I have been offered time on the HIPERACCESS agenda to present
and discuss the liaison letter.

As you may know, the ETSI decision process is based on weighted
company voting. I think that companies with a broad view of the
industry will be more inclined to support harmonization. If you are
interested in promoting harmonization, you might wish to express your
views to your colleagues. However, I ask that you please not directly
address the BRAN leadership on this issue, as they are already well
aware of the situation. I'll be happy to discuss this with any of you
and consider your concerns. While I'll be in a good position to
discuss what is possible in terms of our rules and procedures, I
won't be making any commitments on behalf of the Working Group. I'll
do my best to represent 802.16 fully and accurately.

I continue to believe in the benefits of world standards and expect
that the discussions next week will lead to some kind of progress,
whether or not we have any tangible evidence of it at the end of the
week.

Regards,

Roger