From: Roger B. Marks [mailto:r.b.marks@ieee.org]
Sent: Friday, April 05, 2002 5:47 AM
To: stds-802-16@ieee.org
Subject: stds-802-16: editor's error in 802.16a/D3

Naftali has pointed out an editor's error in 802.16a/D3, and Nico has
agreed of the mistake.

The error came in the implementation of comment 1027, in which it was
agreed to "use 8/7 for bandwidths which are a multiple of 1.75 MHz".
Nico accidentally wrote the opposite: "licensed channel bandwidths,
which are multiples of 1.75 MHz: 7/6; any other bandwidth and
license-exempt: 8/7".

We can easily agree to fix this in the next round of comment
resolution. Since the document is going out to a new set of voters in
Sponsor Ballot, I'd like to correct this error first. However, we
approved sending D3 to Sponsor Ballot and shouldn't tamper with it.
So we have a bit of a dilemma.

Here is how I handled this: in D3, I added a PDF annotation that reads:

"Note: This table entry resulted from an editor's error in entering
comments approved in the 802.16 Working Group Letter Ballot of the
previous edition of this draft.

The table entry should read:

licensed channel bandwidths that are multiples of 1.75 MHz, and
license-exempt: 8/7
any other bandwidth: 7/6"

In this way, the content of the draft has not been touched. However,
the readers will be notified that the content resulted from an
editor's implementation error, and there should be no controversy
about correcting the error when the next draft is issued.

I have posted the revised D3 under the old document number. Since
only this note has been added, I don't consider this to be a new
version. I'll submit the new version to Sponsor Ballot.

I'd like to acknowledge Nico for work that is so careful that we
rarely see this kind of problem. I'd also like to thank Naftali for
noticing the error and for being open to fixing it without a ballot
comment that would have confused the finalizaton of the Working Group
Letter Ballot.

Roger