RE: stds-802-16: clarification regarding Binding comments from outside Ballot Group

Roger - you probably remember that we have compalined several times that a
number of people were unable to join the sponsor ballot group because of
confusion over the appliocation process and/or lack of a readily available
list of sponsor ballot group mamebers. You have also dismissed several
requests to reopen the802.16a sponsor ballot group list for 802.16a. Part of
your "justification" for this was that non-members (of the ballot group)
could always submit comments through a member of the sponsor ballot group
(including yourself). Now it seems that commenst from non-members of the
sponsor ballot group cannot be counted as "disapprove" comments (ie
technical, biding). Does this also mean that in reviewing the comments, only
WG members who are also sponsor ballot group members may vote on each
comment during the meetings ?

Personally, I believe that the "spirit" of the process is that anyone
submitting a comment may declare it to be "binding" and that therefore the
rebuttal (if approipriate" must be resolved to the satisfaction of the
commenter (with his/her agreement on record). This is the same spirit that
we use within the WG, even though you say that the binding /non-binding
label is merely an internal aid etc.  Let's keep the process as honest and
open as we can.