stds-802-16: PAR to convert P802.16d from Amendment to Revision

The 802.16 Working Group approved a motion at Session #25 to convert
P802.16d from an Amendment to a Revision of IEEE Std 802.16. Doing
this now will keep us out of trouble later on. (Note that the
P802.16.2a issue at the IEEE-SA Standards Board is forcing us into a
parallel process with our coexistence work.)

Some of the specific reasons to do make this change are given in the PAR:

(1) "The revision will aid the reader in understanding the material
by integrating it into one document." At the moment, our air
interface standard can only be understood by reading IEEE Stds
802.16, 802.16a, and 802.16c together. An additional 802.16d
amendment makes this even messier. The revision process will begin by
consolidating the three published components. [I have been working
with IEEE editorial staff, and they have already begun this project.]
Any changes we need to make, including adding the system profiles
that are the primary purpose of 802.16d, will be made to this base.
The result will be a clean (no editorial markups), fully organized
version of IEEE Std 802.16 incorporating all of the amendments to
that point.

(2)  "To satisfy the 'IEEE-SA Standards Board Operations Manual'
requirement that 'up to two amendments shall be approved before the
standard shall be revised or reaffirmed, unless the base standard has
been approved or reaffirmed within the past two years.'" The two-year
period expires in December. If 802.16d  wouldn't get to RevCom by
this time, this rule would kick in.

I have posted the new PAR as:

   IEEE 802.16-03/26 ("PAR for 802.16 Revision - Revised from P802.16d")
    <http://ieee802.org/16/docs/03/80216-03_26.pdf>

This is virtually the same as the one approved by the Working Group:
    <http://ieee802.org/16/docs/03/C80216-03_08r1.pdf>.

I intend to submit this PAR to the 802 SEC by 20 June in order to
meet the 30-day advance notice rule. I'll plan to submit it to NesCom
at the same time, so as to get on the agenda for their meeting of 4
August.

Regards,

Roger
--