From: Marianna Goldhammer
Sent: Tuesday, September 02, 2003 8:00 PM
To: Stds-802-16 (E-mail)
Subject: Urgent: filling with FCC for 5GHz NPRM - by Sept. 3

Folks,

FCC has an NPRM open process (ET Docket No. 03-122 ), to close
  tomorrow, regarding the supplementary allocation 255MHz in 5GHz.

We should support this allocation and to address the pct. 18, that is
  802.16 specific:

"Consistent with the agreements cited earlier, we propose to add the
  5.470-5.725 GHz band to the U-NII bands with the same technical
  requirements that apply to the existing 5.250-5.350 GHz U-NII sub-band.
   This is consistent with the WECA petition and the U.S. position for
  the upcoming WRC-03.  The Federal Government believes that the
  power must be limited to 1 watt e.i.r.p. to protect incumbent systems.
  We also believe that this will best provide for communications among
  devices within and among buildings where demand is greatest.  We
expect that the 100 MHz of spectrum that is already available at
  5.725-5.825 GHz will remain sufficient for higher power operations.
   We note in particular that operations over longer distances employ
  directional antennas that allow for high reuse and sharing of the
  spectrum, which mitigates the need for additional spectrum for these
  types of operations.  We seek comment on this analysis."

In my view, 802.16 companies should support Wi-Fi and fill the
  following points, with special attention to pct. 18 answer. Below are
  directions, please use your own wording:

- allocation of additional 255 MHz of internationally harmonized
  spectrum should be encouraged and expedited;
- the new spectrum should be reserved for "broadband" digital
  technology and not narrowband uses;
- Dynamic Frequency Selection (DFS), with radar detection, is an
  acceptable method to protect incumbent users;
- DFS algorithm should be aligned with ETSI
- DFS should only be required for central controller devices, not for
  units under control of the central controller;

- Regarding pct. 18 in  ET Docket No. 03-122, we should answer
  that 100MHz are not enough, based on using this band for sectorized
  Base Stations and their feeding, by at least 2 operators in the same
  area and using one channel as guard band). The 5.8GHz band is also
  occupied by different ISM devices, as cordless phones, creating
  un-controlled interference.

The comment filling (Wi-Fi instructions):

1.  Go this web site:  http://gullfoss2.fcc.gov/prod/ecfs/upload_v2.cgi

2.  For the field 1 "Proceeding", enter "03-122" and tab to the next field
  (do not use the "enter" button, but use "tab" to move through the fields)

3.  Tab to field 3 and fill in the company name for "Applicant/Petitioner"

4.  Tab to field 7, 8, 9 and 10 and fill in the company address.

5.  Leave the remaining fields as the default and scroll to the section
  labeled:  "Send Comment Files to the FCC (Attachments)"

6.  In the field labeled "File:"; use the "Browse" tab to locate the file
  you wish to upload to the FCC (the FCC will accept PDF, Word and
  WordPerfect files)

7.  Once the file is selected and entered into the "File" field, tab to
  the field labeled "Select one of these file types or convert your file to
  one of these types:" and choose the type of file to be uploaded; you
  can also submit simple comments - see pct. 12

8.  Look back over everything entered, to be sure that you are ready to
  submit the filing to the FCC

9.  Next select the tab labeled "Send Attached File to the FCC"

10.  A prompt will come up asking if you want to attach any additional
  filings or attachments, choose the first tab "Finish Transaction and
  Receive Confirmation"

11.  After selecting this tab, the FCC will respond with a web HTML
  confirmation page that can either be saved or printed.  Keep this
  confirmation page in case anything does not upload properly.

12. You have the "Brief Comment" option, that allows you to send
  actually long texts.

Marianna

       Marianna Goldhammer
        Director - Strategic Technologies