From: owner-stds-802-16@listserv.ieee.org [mailto:owner-stds-802-16@listserv.ieee.org]On Behalf Of Radu Selea
Sent: Wednesday, May 05, 2004 3:00 AM
To: STDS-802-16@listserv.ieee.org
Subject: Re: [STDS-802-16] Comment 332

          DJ,

         1. The secondary management connection is a good idea and it serves the purpose: Parallel management network. And based on the purpose it has to stay OPEN.  But the comment 332 starts from an 'original' idea that SMC is created only to allow Configuration File download. This is not correct, other people use it for management and that was the reason of creating it.

        2.  That it should go through a CS  ,it is obvious.On BS we have aside encapsulation, a real classification task to do. That nothing points in the 802.16D document to these items ,it is true. I have tried to introduce a small comment "015" that partially introduced a reference to it : " BS's CS shall map these messages to the appropriate Secondary Management Connection " . That was a former action item from WiMax, when we found out, that we do not know how to fill the table in the BS section related to SMC. At the end of the day the comment was rejected by people that are agreeing with the idea of SMC going through CS and people that were part of the discussion in WiMax. :)
This is the reason ,I am the advocate of clarification instead of deletion. If we delete something it will be hard to agree that we have to put something back...

     3.  The problem is simple as Ken said. Can be IPv4/Ethernet . The other IP stack activities ,  DJ mentioned , are triggered by the usual interaction of a DHCP client/server , SNMP agent/manager or ToD client/server and should be transparent to 802.16 MAC . In case specific lower layer events that trigger particular SNMP traps for instance, it is the same approach as used in any broadband modem (cable,xDSL).
Another issue is that taking CS as defined now in the standard we have no assurance that the principle ( management and data separation) is respected.
I mentioned that in a previous e-mail.

      4. About Figure 1. , the NMS and IP stack ,  you have lost me ...