Re: [STDS-802-16] The new 802.22 PAR

Ofer,

You have a very nice idea.

Actually we already have in LE Coexistence SG charter to address the issue
of behavior of 802.16 compliant systems, when primary users are detected. We
always considered that regulators will provide detection requirements, as
happened in 5GHz, for radars. Regarding TV bands, may be possible that
802.18 (or 802.22), accumulating already significant knowledge, will help in
defining these rules. We always considered the detection requirements being
not part of 802.16 PHY/MAC protocols.

However, 802.18 may try to convince FCC that only 802.22 should be allowed
in this band, which is similar with some kind of band allocation for a
standard (like GSM, UMTS,etc.). Such a proposal makes sense for improved
co-existence (even if it is not mentioned in 802.22 PAR). Here again, 802.19
and the 802.16 LE Coexistence SG may play a role, to define the coexistence
between wireless access systems, like 802.16 and 802.22, and for sure,
collaboration is the key word.

I will try to talk with Carl, as 802.22 interim chair, about his views on
these issues. I hope that we will be able to build a solid collaboration
process.

Another issue may be drafting requirements for PHY/MAC protocols in TV
bands: in spite our opinion, Carl was convinced that 802.16 MAC/PHY do not
comply with TV bands requirements. We should look in a positive way at his
views and not exclude that some modifications may be requested for these
bands. Will be very useful if 802.18 SG1 will define "Requirements for
PHY/MAC protocols in TV bands". These will allow us to both assess
compliance with requirements and amend 802.16 standard, if necessary. I am
not aware of such assessment process in 802.18-SG1, but if actually has
taken place, will be really interesting to see the relevant documents.

Kind Regards,

Marianna