Re: [STDS-802-16] [STDS-802-16-MOBILE] [Harmonization]DRAFT of Idle Mode Consensus Contribution

Phil and all

I have several comments on the latest DRAFT that Phil has uploaded.

1. Idle Mode Retain Information in DREG-REQ

   - Network Address would be more appropriate than Network Address Acquisition in Bit #3.

2. HO Process Optimization in DREG-CMD

- Because HO Process Optimization is an answer for MSS request by ¡®Idle Mode Retain Information¡¯, I think ¡®Idle Mode Retain Information¡¯ makes more sense in DREG-CMD than ¡®HO Process Optimization¡¯. Language such as ¡°omit XXX during current re-entry processing¡± in HO Process Optimization would be a little inappropriate.

3. Paging Group ID in RNG-RSP

- DRAFT describes that Paging Group ID is delivered in case of successful Location Update, but successful Location Update can be made without paging group change. I think paging group ID shall only be included if Location Update Response = 0x01 and Location Update is Zone Update. Some mechanism should be provided to distinguish Zone Update from Timer Update.

4. I doubt if Idle Mode supports BS initiated Idle Mode.

 - IEEE 802.16 REVd says ¡°The BS may transmit the DREG-CMD unsolicited or in response to an SS DREG-REQ message¡±. If BS initiated Idle Mode is supported, some language should be provided in order for the MSS to have chance to request ¡®Idle Mode Retain Information¡¯. If this is considered to be necessary, following text change could be considered.

The DREG-CMD may include the following parameters encoded as TLV tuples. In case of unsolicited DREG-CMD with Action Code=0x05, following parameter shall be included:

REQ-duration

Waiting value for the DREG-REQ message re-transmission (measured in frames)

5. Idle Mode MSS vs Mobile IP (periodic control message)

- If an MSS uses Mobile IP, periodic control message such as Agent Advertisement should be delivered to the MSS. If an MSS in Idle Mode doesn¡¯t receive this Agent Advertisement from the network, MSS will try to re-enter network (IP layer will generate Agent Solicitation Packet). If my understanding is right, Agent Advertising rate is once every 7 to 10 minutes, and the default lifetime is 30 minutes. (RFC1256, RFC 3344) Because this lifetime is used for Mobile to detect its movement, MSS using mobile IP in Idle Mode will be back to normal mode in 30 minutes after Idle Mode initiation.

If MOB-PAG-ADV can inform MSSs in Idle Mode of periodic control message as shown below when the BS listens Agent Advertisement from the Network (it would be every 7 to 10 min), MSSs in Idle Mode will listen to CID at designated time and MSSs will be able to continue Idle Mode.

MOB-PAG-ADV_Message_Format() {

¡¦.

¡¦

Advertisement Indication

1 bit

0 : OFF, 1 : ON

If(Advertisement Indication == 1){

Time

16 bits

Periodic Network Control Message such as Agent Advertisement message will be transmitted after ¡®Time¡¯ frames.

CID

16 bits

Connection ID which conveys Periodic Network Control Message (Agent Advertisement message)

}

}