Re: [STDS-802-16] [PREAMBLE] Some kick-off discussion for Aug 10 CC

Jeff,

Great topic.  To maintain the integrity of this email thread, I am copying the private email exchanges here
for general discussion.  I will appreciate it if you could contribute to the answers.

Jason Hou
ZTE San Diego
(760) 419-2689

==========================
Yossi,

I guess you haven't answer my questions.  Let me try to explain my questions some more.

1.  In the current D5, IDcell is allowed to vary in PUSC (first zone).  But to maintain
frequency orthogonality in overlaping sectors from adjacent cells (different segments),
IDcell needs to be the same in order to maintain same permutation to minimize
slot collisions. Therefore it can be deduced that it is necessary that in PUSC deployment
all cells have the same IDcell in the first zone.  Effectively you have "common preambles"
already.  It may necessarily preempt the current "structural preamble designs" that
call for a common preamble.

2.  I understand your reasoning to identify 3-tier 6-sector 19 cells deployment concept
that wants to have 19x6=114 identidies. My question is, since frequency lock is already
required in the standard (2%), there is no need to create 114 sequences.  You need only
32 sequences for individual IDcells.  There is enough side info for you to perform
power-on frequency lock (e.g., decoding FCHs).  Creating extra 19x3 sequency just for
power-on frequency lock is excessive and unnecessary.  All segments belonging to the same
cell with the same IDcell can use the same preamble sequence (PUSC) without degrading
channel estimation performance.

Please note that answers to this question are vital to us to reach any harmonization.
It ultimately answers to the question whether existion D5 already spell out for a common preamble.
It also affects any preamble design contribution in deciding whether 114 sequences are needed.
Reducing the number of sequences is vital to allow for fast cell-searching, reducing
MSS computing power (therefore battery life), reducing false alarm rate, and a whole lot more.

You may contend that the above reasoning (same IDcell) jeopodizes HOs. I agree.  It is
out of scope for sure.  My preferred implementation will be that in PUSC permutation stays the
same for all and IDcell is encoded in FCH or other places (with HEC in FCH).  We will have
to examine this more once we close the issue with preamble.

Your early reply is appreciated.

Jason Hou
ZTE San Diego