Re: [STDS-802-16] [PREAMBLE] - Technical discussion on preamble structure and sequence design

Dear Anand Dabak and all,

I think that initial symbol timing acquisition can be done using symmetric structure of preamble.
Because the preamble is generally real-valued, its IFFT version in time domain has symmetric structure inherently.

For example, if Nfft=8 and preamble consists of only real, then samples in time domain within a symbol duration are symmetric as follows:

[ a  b  c  d   e   d*   c*  b* ]

The samples around 'e' are conjugated symmetric and this property can be used for acquisition of symbol timing.
The symmetric structure is more usefull to finding correlation peak than CP based method because the symmetric part has length of (Nfft/2-1) longer than CP.

And I think this inherent symmetric structure is more useful than repetitive structure.
For example, let's consider a repetitive structure as following:

[ a  b  c  d   a   b     c    d  ]

The correlation at sample 'a' is |a|^2 + |b|^2+ |c|^2+|d|^2  and that at sample 'b' is  |b|^2+ |c|^2+|d|^2 + ax*.
This means that it is hard to discriminate the peak among correlations over several positions.
However, in the symmetric structure, the correlation at sample 'e' is |b|^2+ |c|^2+|d|^2 and that at sample 'd*' is ec* + db* + cx.
This means that it is easy to discriminate the peak among correlations over several positions.

In summary, it is enough for acquisition of symbol timing to use the inherent symmetric structure obtained without any manipulation to preamble structure in my opinion.

Best Regards

Bin-Chul Ihm
LGE