[STDS-802-16] 2 500 - 2 690 MHz: Characteristics of IEEE 802.16 systems

Dear IEEE 802.16 colleagues,

Please recall the liaison contribution that I presented at the Shenzhen meeting:

IEEE L802.16-04/14

This contribution includes characteristics of terrestrial systems for consideration in studies for Agenda Item 1.9 of the World Radiocommunication Conference 2007 (WRC-07).  Agenda Item 1.9 is to review the technical, operational and regulatory provisions applicable to the use of the band 2 500 - 2 690 MHz by space services in order to facilitate sharing with current and future terrestrial services without placing undue constraint on the services to which the band is allocated. The preparatory work is done by the Joint Task Group 6-8-9 (JTG 6-8-9), which will hold its next meeting on 24-28 January 2005 in Geneva, Switzerland.

Therefore, I believe it is timely to consider what should submitted by IEEE as a follow up contribution to the previous one (cf. IEEE L802.16-04/11) to provide characteristics of IEEE 802.16 systems intended to operate within the band 2 500 - 2 690 MHz, in order to assist JTG 6-8-9 in their sharing studies and thus help ensure that no undue constraint will be placed on IEEE 802.16 systems operating in that band.

For guidance on the type of characteristics that are needed, please see the characteristics that are already in Annex 3 to Document 6-8-9/26, which is included in document IEEE L802.16-04/14.  If, for the purposes of sharing studies with space services, the characteristics of IEEE 802.16 systems are similar to those already included there, it might no be necessary to provide additional characteristics, but IEEE 802.16 should inform ITU-R JTG 6-8-9 in any case.  Therefore, based on your inputs, we should develop an IEEE contribution to ITU-R JTG 6-8-9 at the November meeting of IEEE 802.16.

Regards,

José Costa

IEEE 802.16 liaison rapporteur to ITU-R