[STDS-802-16] Fwd: FW: [STDS-802-16] Issues for the usage of the Secondary management connection

Title: Fwd: FW: [STDS-802-16] Issues for the usage of the Seconda
-----Original Message-----
From: Eliaspur, Yigal
Sent: Tuesday, November 02, 2004 7:46 AM
To: STDS-802-16@listserv.ieee.org
Subject: RE: [STDS-802-16] Issues for the usage of the Secondary managemen t connection

Dear Chulsik Yoon,

Although a new special transport CID for broadcasting seems a useful solution as glance, it has lots of drawback associated with it:
1. Conversion Sublayer definition is per CID. Thus if not using DSX then Conversion Sublayer type for the BC connection needs to be defined in another specific/proprietary  way.
2. This mechanism will lock down the operator to use only one broadcasting Conversion Sublayer for all MSS types. While with DSX more then one CID can be allocated for broadcast data, one per CS type.
3. If one likes BC information to be encrypted as well, special/proprietary mechanism to assign SAID for the static broadcast CID is needed.
4. Sleep / idle mode can be enhanced by splitting the BC transmission to groups of a common wakeup interval.

With regards to the drawback of using the DSX procedure:
1. Chulsik Yoon wrote:  "if we use the multicast transport connection for the L3 signaling broadcast, then the DSA procedure to assign the MSS to join the multicast connection shall be carried out before the L3 signaling broadcast."
As for our origin discussion, DSA signaling should be carried out anyhow before theL3 unicast signaling, adding signaling for another broadcast connection won't make much difference to the network entry procedure (Multiple DSA transaction can be performed simultaneously). As for HO time, this can be optimized by the standard unicast/multicast CID switch mechanism without the overhead of the DSA signaling.

2. Chulsik Yoon wrote:  "E. Yigals approach requires that the joining process of the multicast connection for L3 signaling broadcast assumed that the BS MAC layer already know the necessity of that multicast connection (L2 involvement of L3 signaling, for example, by detecting the IPv6 support capability)."
As I mentioned above the DSX procedure will be triggered based on the MSS Conversion Sublayer capability which is a plus. In the special CID approach there is no way to define the appropriate Conversion Sublayer(CS) of the connection and no way to match it to a specific CS capability of the MSS.

Best Regards,

- Yigal

yigal.eliaspur@intel.com
Intel Corp.