[STDS-802-16] Important instructions on Letter Ballot #18 regarding IEEE 802.16/Conformance04/D1

I'd like to make a few observations on Letter Ballot #18 and IEEE
802.16/Conformance04/D1.

In the draft, subclause A.6 ("Protocol ICS for WirelessMAN OFDM")
says: "The PICS for Part 4: Protocol Implementation Conformance
Statement (PICS) Proforma for Frequencies below 11 GHz shall be
according to [4]." Normative Reference [4] is
"DTS/BRAN-004T002-1V0.0.9 (2004-09): 'Conformance testing for the
Data Link Control Layer (DLC); Part 1: Protocol Implementation
Conformance Statement (PICS) proforma'".

This is (obviously!) a critical aspect of the draft, though it
doesn't use a lot of text.

Comments on the normative reference are in scope. Therefore, it's
important that people be able to obtain it.

I am very concerned that the reference is to an obsolete draft, even
though the standard was published in February 2005, and that it
doesn't include the proper document number. I'm also concerned that
the draft does not provide directions on how to obtain the reference.

So:

(1) The current version of the reference is "ETSI TS 102 385-1 V1.1.1
(2005-02): Broadband Radio Access Networks (BRAN); HiperMAN;
Conformance testing for the Data Link Control Layer (DLC); Part 1:
Protocol Implementation Conformance Statement (PICS) proforma."

(2) The reference may be downloaded by anyone at
<http://webapp.etsi.org/workprogram/Report_WorkItem.asp?WKI_ID=18825>.

(3) Comments on Reference [4] are within the scope of LB#18. However,
I would suggest that you confine your comments to (1), not to the
pre-standard version cited in 802.16/Conformance04/D1. I presume that
the erroneous reference will be corrected during comment resolution.

(4) If you do submit comments on (1), they should refer to Page 13,
Line 24 (the location of A.6). However, within the text of your
comment, you need to cite the specific document "ETSI TS 102 385-1
V1.1.1" and the page and lines numbers inside that document.
Otherwise, the task group will be quite confused.

Roger
--

Dr. Roger B. Marks  <mailto:marks@nist.gov> +1 303 497 7837
National Institute of Standards and Technology/Boulder, CO, USA