[STDS-802-16] P802.16e/D11 Sponsor Ballot Recirc Results and RevCom status

The sixth recirc of the P802.16e Sponsor Ballot, involving P802.16e/D11, ran from 12-27 September.

41 comments were received. One was an editorial Coordination comment. The others were all from P802.16e Technical Editor Ron Murias. The first one of these reads:

"P802.16e/D11 is not fully consistent with P802.16-2004/Cor1/D5. The editorial instructions of both documents are in some cases contradictory and impossible to interpret, if both documents are given equal precedence. If the Cor1 draft is approved first, then the 16e draft, as the more recent one, would have clear precedence. In this case, the interpretation would be unambiguous. However, in this case, some editorial instructions P802.16e/D11 would negate those in P802.16-2004/Cor1/D5, and it is not clear whether this was intentional or accidental."

The other 39 of Ron's comments specify the specific issues identified and, in many cases, recommended solutions. Many of the comments are "Technical, Binding." The 41 comments are available here:
	http://ieee802.org/16/docs/05/80216-05_072.zip

I cannot reasonably inform RevCom that we will not recirculate these comments; I am sure that RevCom would reject this approach. Therefore, I have no choice but to request that RevCom remove P802.16e/D11 from the October 2005 RevCom Early Consideration agenda (for Standards Board approval in November).

By virtue of a motion at Session #39, Brian Kiernan and I are authorized to resolve these comments. We will  finalize and announce a process soon. Our goal, which I think is within reach, is to complete comment resolution in time to open one last recirc by October 17. This would allow for approval of the standard by the IEEE-SA Standards Board on 7 December. This is about a month later than we could have expected under Early Consideration.

This is a painful process for all of us, but I, for one, want to thank Ron for putting the effort into this. This issues he spotlighted are critical to the integrity of our standard. Let's get it right and get it over with. Free free to begin reviewing the comments.

Regards,

Roger

Dr. Roger B. Marks  <mailto:marks@nist.gov> +1 303 497 7837
National Institute of Standards and Technology/Boulder, CO, USA
Chair, IEEE 802.16 Working Group on Broadband Wireless Access
        <http://WirelessMAN.org>