Re: [STDS-802-16] compiled table of PARs for November EC agenda

Roger, Carl and all,
I must admit I don't understand the 802.22.1 PAR.  It is stated that this is
a PAR for a Standard for methods ..., however, I don't know whether
"Methods" as such can be standardized at all.  More specifically:
1. Is it a standard for a new 802.22 MAC and PHY?  If so, will it be
compatible to the 802.22 WRAN devices currently developed in 802.22?
2. If those methods are to be included within 802.22 devices, why isn't it
an amendment to 802.22 rather than a PAR for a new standard?
3. Since the 802.22 standard does not exist yet, so there is no need for an
amendment. Why can't 802.22 include the method within the standards it
currently develops, without asking for a new PAR?
4. If it is out of scope of the current PAR, doesn't 802.22 need a PAR
change rather than a new PAR?
5. In the 5 criteria document an example for beacon devices/networks is
given as a possible method. Which device should transmit those beacons?  Is
it a 802.22 device? It seems to me the intent is that CFR 74 devices will be
those transmitting those beacons.  In this case, isn't it out of scope of
802 altogether? Were there any liaisons made to whoever writes the standards
for 74 devices to include those beacons, or other methods, in the devices?

In short, although the intent is definitely positive and should be
supported, I would appreciate it if we can get some more clarifications on
the subject.

Avi