From: Roger B. Marks [mailto:r.b.marks@ieee.org]
Sent: Wednesday, December 07, 2005 10:45 AM
To: STDS-802-16@listserv.ieee.org
Subject: [STDS-802-16] ***Going Mobile: IEEE 802.16e is Approved by IEEE-SA***

Dear 802.16 Friends and Family,

I have received word that IEEE Std 802.16e (Draft

12) was approved this morning by the IEEE-SA

Standards Board, following yesterday's unanimous

recommendation by the Board's Standards Review

Committee (RevCom). The operative version of IEEE

Std 802.16 is now IEEE Std 802.16-2004, as

modified by the corrigendum IEEE 802.16-2004/Cor1

and amended by IEEE Stds 802.16e and 802.16f. The

WirelessMAN standard has gone mobile!

This action brings to a close the work of Task

Group e and its project that began with the

approval of the original 802.16e PAR in December

2002, following its development by the Mobile

WirelessMAN Study Group beginning in July 2002.

Throughout that time, the work was ably led by

the steady hand of Brian Kiernan. I salute him

for his heroic efforts. The 802.16e Editor, Ron

Murias, deserves a separate special salute.

Please take the opportunity to send them both

your appreciations.

Looking back on the original PAR from 2002, we

projected completion in about 18 months. Actual

development took about twice that long. Though we

all would have preferred to stick closer to

schedule, the reality is that the Working Group

changed dramatically during those years, growing

from 82 Members at PAR approval to 310 now. The

influx of new participants, from many regions of

the world and with a variety of applications in

mind, brought in a wide range of views. I'm proud

of the fact that we addressed all of the

resulting needs, continuing to harmonize and

build consensus to ensure a result with broad

support and broad applicability. After 12

official drafts, over 6000 comments (from members

and nonmembers alike), and over 900 contributed

documents (over 1600 if you count revisions), we

ended up with a 684 page standard with 99%

approval and far more than 99% of the comments

fully resolved. That's impressive!

To all the 802.16 Working Group participants,

past and present, I send congratulations on

adding the IEEE seal of approval to the 802.16e

deliverable. I'd like you to pause and reflect on

what this means. IEEE standards are not

mandatory, and the IEEE logo is not by itself

going to convince anyone to adopt our standards

and put them to use. What WILL make a difference

is an IEEE logo earned the hard way, based on a

diligent and largely successful effort to recruit

the participation of the world's interested

parties, coupled with the dedication to building

a team and driving a consensus. THAT is what

gives 802.16 the opportunity to be a success, not

just here or there but, as we say in dot16,

"AOE": Anywhere On Earth!

So, wherever on Earth you are, please join me in

raising a glass and sending out a virtual toast

to the 802.16 family. Konbe! Ganbei! Kampai!

L'Chaim! Belsalamati! Kippis! Skĺl! Santé!

Sláinte! Salute! Salud! Prost! Proost! Cheers!

Roger

Dr. Roger B. Marks  <mailto:r.b.marks@ieee.org> +1 303 497 7837

Chair, IEEE 802.16 Working Group on Broadband Wireless Access

        <http://WirelessMAN.org>

P.S. IEEE 802.16f-2005 was published on 1 Dec

2005. IEEE-SA staff are currently merging

802.16-2004/Cor1 and 802.16e into a single

document, to be entitled IEEE 802.16e-2005. The

plan is to publish this before the year's end.

Unapproved drafts are available for sale through

the IEEE Store. However, approved drafts are

removed from the catalog. Therefore, if you wish

to buy the document, I suggest you act quickly

before it is deleted. For details, see:

      http://ieee802.org/16/pubs/P80216e.html