[STDS-802-16] [MMR-AH-UM] Minutes from 6/1 Meeting of Multihop Relay Usage Model Ad Hoc Group

Meeting Time: Thursday June 1, 2006 06:00 – 08:00 PDT

Venue: conference call

Minutes:

- Please let me know if I missed any attendees in the attendee list (at the bottom of the email)

- The following minutes capture the major points of discussion and agreement/disagreement. I did not attempt to capture everybody’s statements/positions in the minutes. If I have omitted anything significant, please let me know

1)       We discussed the proposal to alternate meeting times between 06:00 PDT and 20:00 PDT on alternate weeks. The proposal was made by Lei Wang who cannot attend at 06:00. There were no other participants in favor of changing the current plan and it was pointed out that 20:00 is 04:00 in England and 05:00 in other parts of Europe. It was agreed that meetings will continue be held once a week on Thursdays at 06:00 PST as previously decided.

2)       We discussed the current structure of the document and came to agreement on the necessity and major content of all of the sections!

·         Section 3:

-          Need to add explicit mention of the coverage extension case (coverage beyond the reach of the MMR-BS) to section 3.1

-          Need to add text specifying that a mobile station can move from one model to another (e.g., can move from a train to the outdoors, to within a building.

-          We agreed to keep the names of sections 3.1, 3.2, and 3.3 the same and to modify the name of section 3.4 to replace the word “platform” with the word “vehicle” or something equivalent.

·         Section 4

-          Change the name of section 4.1 to include “Per-User Throughput”

-          Remove the reference to frequency usage in section 4.1

-          In section 4.2 merge bullet on coverage in coverage hole and coverage in tunnel between buildings and add a bullet on mobile coverage (David Steer from Nortel to provide some text).

-          Remove the “/’s” from the section headings

·         Section 5

-          Discussed whether the section on types of links and routes should be removed. Majority consensus was that the sections should remain.

-          There were discussions on some of the details on the figure in section 5. We deferred those discussions till the next draft in order to get through the document and reach agreement on all sections.

·         Section 6

-          Agreed to split section 6 between section 3 (potential RS deployment locations) and section 7 (text on simple RS types) and remove it as a separate section

·         Section 7:

-          Agreed to keep the major subsections as they are in the current draft

-          Discussed whether this section should remain a separate section, or whether it should be duplicated in each of the usage model sections to specify the usage model specific RS characteristics. Agreed to leave it where it is for now and to point out specific RS type considerations in the usage model sections. We will see whether it becomes apparent that the section should be split and incorporated into the individual subsections of section 3 as we develop the document. (There was a similar discussion and conclusion on section 5).

-          There was discussion that the tables currently in the antenna usage section is too specific in that it constrains particular types of stations to using particular types of antennas. I think that there was consensus to make the contents higher level, discussing the potential types of antennas and ramifications on the usage models, but it was late in the call and people were dropping off, so we will need to revisit this as part of the more detailed review of next draft

3)       We discussed when additional usage models would be considered. The plan is to first consolidate/harmonize the models proposed in contributions received for session 43 and then to move to consider additional models/concepts.

4)       Next steps are:

-          Publish updated version of the draft

-          Discuss detailed text/diagrams in the draft over email and in the next meeting

Attendees:

Dharma Basgeet - Toshiba

Naftali Chayat - Alvarion

Sung-Cheol Chang – ETRI

Aik Chindapol - Siemens

Dazi Feng – ZTE

Heng-Iang Hsu – Institute for Information Industry

Peng-Yong Kong – I2R

Yung-Ting Lee – Institute for Information Industry

Sungjin Lee - Samsung

Matty Levanda - Winetworks

Kanchei (Ken) Loa – Institute for Information Industry

Mitsuo Nohara – KDDI

Asa Masahito – Motorola

Paul Piggin - Nextwave Broadband

Arvind Raghavan - ArrayComm

Shyamal Ramachandran - motorola

Frank Ren - ITRI

Yousuf Saifullah - Nokia

Gang Shen - Alcatel

Matt Sherman - BAE Systems

Shiann-Tsang Sheu – Institute for Information Industry

DJ Shyy – MITRE

Seth.Spoenlein - US army

David Steer - Nortel

Yong Sun - Toshiba

Jerry Sydir - Intel

Wen Tong - Nortel

Frank C. D.Tsai - III

Haiguang Wang – I2R

Jing Wang – VIA Telecom

Jen-Shun Yang - ITRI

Hua-Chiang Yin – Institute for Information Industry

Derek Yu – Nortel

Aimin Zhang - Huawei

Peiying Zhu – Nortel