[STDS-802-16] [MMR-AH-UM] UPDATED Minutes from 6/22 Meeting of Multihop Relay Usage Model Ad Hoc Group

Minutes updated with attendees and points that I missed.

Meeting Time: Thursday June 22, 2006 06:00 – 08:00 PDT

Venue: conference call

Minutes:

- Please let me know if I’ve missed any participants.

- The following minutes capture the major points of discussion and agreement/disagreement. I did not attempt to capture everybody’s statements/positions in the minutes. If I have omitted anything significant, please let me know

1)       Group agreed to editorial changes to sections 3.3 adding a separate diagram and clarifying the text and to section 3.4 (adding a figure to illustrate coverage on a ferry).

2)       Group agreed to modification of section 5.3 to rewrite the sentence “It should be noted that even when multiple routes are enabled between the RSs, the overall topology is still tree-like because all data communications are between the MMR-BS and MSs and this usage does not violate the scope as defined in the 802.16j PAR.” to state that data communications are always between and MMR-BS and an MS.

3)       Group agreed to mention in section 3.2 that the antennas of an in-building RS may be mounted on the exterior of the building as well as on the interior.

4)       Group had agreed to mention that repeaters may be used to extend the range of MMR-BS to RS links, but concern was voiced at the end of the meeting, so there is not clear that there was concensus. The group will revisit this question in the next meeting.

5)       Group agreed to include most of the proposed text describing military usage. The following modifications/additions were agreed to:

·         Add a paragraph at the front of the document stating that military scenarios are provided to show how military usage benefits from commercial standardization. The military will have special requirements in areas such as security and it is not intended that 802.16j address those specialized requirements.

·         Update text going into section 3.4 to:

-          clarify that the relative speed between mobile RS and MS does not need to exceed maximum mobility speeds supported in 802.16e

-          modify the sentences on MS -> RS -> MS communication to say that in some cases a device may wish to implement both RS and BS functionality and to switch between them in the even that communication with an upstream RS or MMR-BS is lost.

6)       Group agreed to add text about the possibility of battery powered operation into the in-building and temporary coverage scenarios.

Attendees:

Dharma Basgeet - Toshiba

Aik Chindapol – Siemens

David Choukroun - Sequans

David Comstock - Huawei

Shulan Feng - Huawei

I-Kang Fu - ITRI

Heng-Iang Hsu – Institute for Information Industry

Kyeongsoo (Joseph) Kim - STMicroelectronics

Yung-Ting Lee – Institute for Information Industry

Youn-Tai Lee  -- Institute for Information Industry

Sungjin Lee - Samsung

Matty Levanda - Winetworks

Kanchei (Ken) Loa – Institute for Information Industry

Shashikant Maheshwari - Nokia

Greg Phillips - AirTegrity Wireless

Arvind Raghavan - ArrayComm

Shyamal Ramachandran - motorola

Frank Ren - ITRI

Gamini Senarath - Nortel

Matt Sherman - BAE Systems

Shiann-Tsang Sheu – Institute for Information Industry

DJ Shyy – MITRE

Seth.Spoenlein - US Army

Aristides Staikos - US Army

Yong Sun - Toshiba

Jerry Sydir - Intel

Koon Hoo Teo - Mitsubishi

Frank C. D.Tsai - III

G.Q Wang – Nortel

Haiguang Wang – I2R

Jen-Shun Yang - ITRI

Hua-Chiang Yin – Institute for Information Industry