Re: [STDS-802-16] SPAM-LOW: Re: [STDS-802-16] [HO] Usage of "network assisted HO supported flag"

Hello,

Thanks for the detailed mail !!

I appreciate your interest in getting across the right perception of the spec procedures.

Thanks,
Malini Raghavendra
Project Lead
Communication and Embedded Systems,

Larsen &Toubro Infotech,

Bangalore,INDIA

"Phillip Barber" <pbarber@broadbandmobiletech.com>

06/28/2006 12:35 PM

"Malini Raghavendra" <Malini.Raghavendra@lntinfotech.com>
cc
<STDS-802-16@listserv.ieee.org>
Subject
Re: SPAM-LOW:  Re: [STDS-802-16] [HO] Usage of "network assisted HO supported flag"

How about the descriptive language for the message:
6.3.2.3.55 HO Indication (MOB_HO-IND) message

An MS shall transmit a MOB_HO-IND message for final indication that it is about to perform a HO.
Note that the requirement for the MS to transmit HO-IND does not specify correlation with a MOB_BSHO-REQ or MOB_BSHO-RSP, only that the HO-IND message be transmitted, if it can be. If you look at all of the other MAC management messages in 802.16, when paired as REQ & RSP, the RSP always has language that says 'this message shall be sent in response to the xxx-REQ message'. HO-IND does not have such language.

There are a lot of reasons for the decision that was made, not the least of which is the likely unavailability of time to conduct HO-REQ and HO-RSP activity during high mobility. But the network works much better if it at least gets an HO-IND with the Target BS ID that an MS intends to handover to. Unpredictive handover (and that is a WiMAX term coined by Alvarion, not an IEEE term; it is called drop handover in 802.16) does not even require HO-IND to be successful, though it may not be well optimized. That was intended when we authored this mechanic in 802.16 as well; graceful recovery from marginalized link performance.

There is a lot of language in 6.3.22.2.2 HO decision and initiation that talks about how HO-IND may be used as a response to a BSHO-RSP. There is even some language that says, in certain circumstances, HO-IND should be sent. But we had to be very careful. We could not create some unreasonable rule saying that MS absolutely had to send HO-IND in order to conduct handover because in mobility, especially at time of intent to handover, the channel may become so marginalized that transmittal of HO-IND became impossible. So it is best to think of HO-IND as something the MS should send, if it has the opportunity.

We wrote some complicated language in the beginning of the section ('The HO may proceed with a notification...' and the following paragraph) to try and avoid a race condition for MOB_MSHO-REQ/MOB_BSHO-REQ/MOB_BSHO-RSP/MOB_HO-IND. But in any instance it is problematic to attribute an HO-IND to a specific BSHO-RSP. So we made HO-IND both a general response, not to any specific message, and an unsolicited transmittal whereby the MS could signal its will not based on any specific message. For instance, MS can cancel a contemplated handover by sending HO-IND with the Action Code for Cancel without worrying to which instance of any BSHO-RSP it may refer. It cancels ALL contemplated handovers. Same thing with rejection. HO-IND with the Action Code for Reject rejects ALL contemplated handovers.

The only time an MS absolutely MUST send HO-IND is when the MS is seeking to cancel a previously announced (via HO-IND with Action Code for Serving BS Release) handover prior to expiration of Resource Retain Timer at the Serving BS. But of course this is not in response to any HO-REQ/RSP action. This is an unsolicited transmission to permit the MS to regain Normal Operation with its Serving BS when aborting a handover attempt.

Well, you get the idea.

Thanks,
Phillip Barber
Chief Scientist