From: Chao_Ming Chang [mailto:Lepidus_Chang@MTK.COM.TW]
Sent: Tuesday, October 03, 2006 8:34 AM
To: STDS-802-16@listserv.ieee.org
Subject: Re: [STDS-802-16] two simple questions.

Hello Zhongshan,

   1. For practical implementation, as least for IEEE 802.11abgn, we count on analog IIR filter and digital (FIR or IIR) filter
to perform the task of spectrum shaping. As I am not familar with the design of DAC, I am not sure if the output of DAC would
also apply a low-pass filter.

  2. Yes, it is correct to say that when the sub-carrier spacing is the inverse of the OFDM symbol duration excluding CP,
the sub-carriers are orthogonal.

  It is my pleasure to share some experience with you.

Best regards,
  Lepidus.

"Zhongshan Wu" <wuzhongshan@gmail.com>

2006/10/03 12:37 PM

        收件人:      " Lepidus_Chang@mtk.com.tw" <Lepidus_Chang@mtk.com.tw>

        副本抄送:  STDS-802-16@listserv.ieee.org
        主旨:          Re: Re: [STDS-802-16] two simple questions.

Hi Lepidus,
   First of all, thank you so much for your clear comments. That is really the difference between text-book theories and real-world implementations. Ideally we should have one "brick-wall" filter to shape the spectrum of transmitted signal. But that is not achieveable.  If my understanding is right, the  DAC at the transmit side serves as a transmit filiter for spectrum shaping purpose too. Another point is, except those confusing terms for BW and Fs, the subcarrier spacing should be exactly the inverse of the usable signal duration (no CP part). This helps maintain the orthogonality between ajacent or non-ajacent subcarriers. Am I right?

  Thanks again,
  Zhongshan