[STDS-802-16] P802.16/Cor2 ballot planning

I'd like to make some comments regarding planning for Cor2 balloting.

As you know, there is a proposal to not pursue Cor2 into Sponsor
Ballot. However, I don't see a need to act on that until March. For
the moment, I think it's clear that we need to continue with the WG
ballot. This is going to require some planning at Session #47. Let me
sketch out the possibilities.

The first steps [for which I see no alternative if we want to
progress] are to resolve any comments, authorize the development of
D2 based on those resolutions, and authorize a 15-day recirc. But we
also need to plan, in London, what will happen next.

If we decide we want to proceed directly to Sponsor Ballot, then the
15-day recirc would need to finish cleanly, with no comments that
demanded resolution and recirculation. It's my informed opinion that
this will not happen. However, let's assume it did. Then we could
submit that draft for 30-day Sponsor Ballot. However, if it would be
quite unlikely to conclude Sponsor Ballot before Session #48. [There
are seven weeks between sessions. We need to allow 45 days of
balloting. And it takes IEEE several days to initiate the Sponsor
Ballot once we've sent them the draft. And, of course, we need to
allow time for editing the draft. We rarely get this done in less
than a week, and we know that it sometimes takes much longer.] In
this case, we'd probably end up unable to do any useful technical
work on Cor2 at Session #48. At Session #48, we could try to figure
out what to do next.

On the other hand, what if we do get comments in the recirc? It seems
to me that it would be a good idea to set up a plan to resolve those
comments, instead of waiting until Session #48. With some planning,
it ought to be possible to resolve the comments, create a D3, and run
a second 15-day recirc before Session #48. If all went well, we would
have no comments in that second recirc, and we could call the WG
letter ballot over at Session #48. If we had comments, we could
resolve them at that meeting. In either case, we could decide at
Session #48 how we wanted to proceed.

So, my suggestion is that the Maintenance Task Group come up with a
plan to resolve, in mid-February, any comments arising from the
recirc. We have tried various methods of between-session comment
resolution, with varying degrees of success. A lot of factors go into
the decision, and it becomes a judgement call, with good judgement
required. I suggest that the Maintenance TG reserve judgement until
its see what next week's comments, and comment resolutions, look like.

Any plans need to be approve by the WG at the Closing Plenary.

Roger