Re: [STDS-802-16] Question on unsolicited MOB_SCN-RSP message. (16e-2005)

Hello I-Kang,

   Thanks for the reply.

In case the "MS autonomous neighbor cell scanning" is not instructed by MOB_SCN-RSP (including both unsolicited or not), the
expected action for MS which receives unsolicited MOB_SCN-RSP message becomes undefined in the current specifications.

Per the comments from Geunhw Lim in 80216-07_013r2.cmt (comment #25),
"Without the allocated scanning duration, MS could report the measurement from autonomous scanning. The current spec allows that a BS could deny the allocation of scanning interval but request the measurement result which MS has from background scanning, through a MOB_SCN-RSP message."
In this comment, the unsolicited MOB_SCN_RSP message would expect MS to perform autonomous scanning. As there is only one
section describing "MS autonomous neighboring cell scanning" throughout the current specifications, I would not think Geunhw's understanding
is the same as yours on "MS autonomous neighbor cell scanning is not instructed by MOB_SCN-RSP".

On your reply item 3, "Therefore, I think the MS which does not perform FBSS/MDHO may still be instructed to report its scanning results by BS."
In case the expected action for MS which receives unsolicited MOB_SCN-RSP message is not the "MS autonomous neighbor cell scanning" defined
in Section 8.4.13.1.3, the expected action for MS is undefined. In case the expected action is defined in Section 8.4.13.1.3, it violates the requirement that
autonomous scanning is restricted to MS which supports FBSS/MDHO.

As I find this issue unclear on both ways, I would love to learn your opinions on this issue. Any other comments are also appreciated.

Best regards,
  Lepidus.

I-Kang Fu <IKFu@ITRI.ORG.TW>

2007/03/04 12:40 PM
請回信 給 I-Kang Fu

        收件人:      STDS-802-16@listserv.ieee.org

        副本抄送:
        主旨:          Re: [STDS-802-16] Question on unsolicited MOB_SCN-RSP message. (16e-2005)

----- 訊息來自 "I-Kang Fu" <IKFu@itri.org.tw> (位於 Sun, 4 Mar 2007 12:40:15 +0800) -----
寄件人: <STDS-802-16@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG>
主旨: Re: [STDS-802-16] Question on unsolicited MOB_SCN-RSP message. (16e-2005)

## Due to some format mismatch in my last mail, I re-send this again. Sorry for your inconvenience. ##

Dear Lepidus,

I would like to share my understanding for your reference. Any correction or amendment on my replies are welcome and appreciated.

1.      The “MS autonomous neighbor cell scanning” is not instructed by MOB_SCN-RSP, it’s different from the normal scanning procedure defined in 6.3.22.1.2. According to section 8.4.13.1.3 in IEEE Std 802.16 Cor2/D2, the MS shall autonomously scan the preamble transmitted by neighboring cells if it supports the capability of FBSS/MDHO. So that MS can continuously maintain the signal quality database to decide whether the neighbor BSs should be added into the diversity set.

2.      Yes, the MS autonomous neighbor cell scanning shall be performed only when the FBSS/MDHO is supported.

3.      According to section 6.3.22.1.2, it says that the serving BS may also send MOB_SCN-RSP message unsolicited. In this case, BS will set Scan duration as zero to trigger MS to report scanning result. Therefore, I think the MS which does not perform FBSS/MDHO may still be instructed to report its scanning results by BS.

4.      Yes, I think so. I think scanning the preamble transmitted in different carrier frequency is not within the scope of autonomous neighbor cell scanning. For this case, the normal scanning procedure should be used.

Best Regards,

I-Kang
I-Kang Fu    IKFu@itri.org.tw
New Mobile Access Tech. Dept.
Information & Communications Research Labs
Industrial Technology Research Institute (ITRI), Taiwan