Re: [STDS-802-16] +++IEEE 802.16 Letter Ballot #27 (on ITU-R Liaison Statement) is now open+++

I'd like to provide background information on WG Letter Ballot #27.

Last November, IEEE contributed IEEE L802.16-06/031r2 to ITU-R
Working Party 8F (WP 8F). This document, which was assigned ITU-R
document number 8F/1065, suggested that ITU-R Rec M.1457 (which
specifies IMT-2000) be expanded to include the radio interface
entitled "IP-OFDMA", based on IEEE 802.16. The WiMAX Forum submitted
supporting documentation.

A number of activities followed, as summarized at:
   <http://ieee802.org/16/liaison/itu/ip-ofdma>

During its recent meeting of 23-31 May in Kyoto, which I attended, WP
8F developed a draft revision to M.1457-6 (the current revision of M.
1457) as well as revisions to two related recommendations (M.1580 and
M.1581). The draft revision of M.1457 includes a Section 5.6
specifying a new sixth IMT-2000 radio interface known as "IMT-2000
OFDMA TDD WMAN". This name was chosen as replacement for "IP-OFDMA".
Section 5.6 opens as follows: "The IEEE standard relevant for
IMT-2000 OFDMA TDD WMAN, designated as IEEE Std 802.16, is developed
and maintained by the IEEE 802.16 Working Group on Broadband Wireless
Access." WP 8F also chose to incorporate additional material from the
WiMAX Forum into OFDMA TDD WMAN.

WP 8F forwarded these drafts to Study Group 8 (SG 8) for approval at
its meeting of 25-26 June in Geneva, as reported by ITU <http://
itu.int/newsroom/press_releases/2007/12.html>. Note that approval by
SG 8 is not certain.

Following the meeting, IEEE and the WiMAX Forum each received two
liaison statements (see IEEE L802.16-07/033 and IEEE L802.16-07/034).
In the email providing those statements, the SG 8 Counsellor noted
that "The liaisons seek assent from your organizations to the
inclusion in these Recommendations of information based on IEEE and
WiMAX Forum deliverables."

The current Letter Ballot #27 considers WG approval of a liaison
response that would notify ITU-R that IEEE "welcomes the new material
referenced in the liaison statements."

The input from WP 8F suggests that IEEE's response be provided by 18
June. However, the SG 8 Counsellor has advised that a few extra days
are possible.

Because the proposed statement is from IEEE 802, an additional
approval process by the 802 EC will be required. Due to the time
factors, I strongly encourage the members to cast their vote as soon
as possible, at:
  <http://dot16.org/ballot27/ballotform27.html>.

Please note that links to the draft recommendations are available on
the ballot web page. Due to ITU restrictions, these materials are
protected by the 802.16 WG username and password.

Please feel free to contact me directly if you would like additional
information.

Regards,

Roger