Re: [STDS-802-16] Load Balance proposal

Hi,

We already had some long discussion on this issue during the F2F. I had some different proposal, which simplifies the ping-pong protection without involving DCD into this process. Unfortunately, contribution authors thought that we do not have a time to discuss it and resolve all possible race situations.

From my POV this proposal does not have too much race conditions and provide very simple solution.

The addition, change 6, which restrict the usage of other BS for HO operation mode = 1 may be removed. I added it to be closer to original Load Balancing proposal.

Please, take a look:

Change #3: Enhancement of section “6.3.2.3.42 MOB_NBR-ADV (neighbor advertisement) message”:

For each advertised neighbor BS, the following TLV parameters may be included:

Mobility Feature Supported

Same as in 11.7.14.1. The BS may temporary turn off HO support bit in the case of overloaded condition and inform other BSs about this limitation (over the backbone).

Change #5: Enhancement of subsection 6.3.22.2.2, HO decision and initiation:

When MOB_MSHO-REQ is sent by an MS, the MS may indicate one or more possible target BS. When MOB_BSHO-REQ is sent by a BS, the BS may indicate one or more possible target BSs. MS may evaluate possible target BS(s) through previously performed scanning and Association activity. MS shall not attempt HO to the neighbor BSs, which does not support HO operation or HO operation is temporary disabled in Mobility Feature Supported TLV of Neighbor BS reflected in MOB_NBR-ADV for specific BS.

Serving BS criteria for recommendation of target BS may include factors such as expected MS performance at potential target BS, BS and network loading conditions, and MS QoS requirements. The serving BS may obtain expected MS performance and BS and network loading conditions at a potential target BS through the exchange of messages with that BS over the backbone network. The serving BS may negotiate location of common time interval where dedicated initial ranging transmission opportunity for the MS will be provided by all potential target BSs. This information may be included into MOB_BSHO-RSP message, and is indicated by Action Time. Serving BS shall not include into recommended target BS list such BSs, which does not support HO operation or HO operation is temporary disabled in Mobility Feature Supported TLV of Neighbor BS reflected in MOB_NBR-ADV for specific BS..

Change #6: Enhancement of subsection 6.3.22.2.2, HO decision and initiation:

In some instances, the BS may need to force the MS to conduct HO. The BS shall include a value of HO operation mode = 1 in either the MOB_BSHO-REQ or MOB_BSHO-RSP to signal to the MS that the MS must conduct HO. Upon receiving a message with HO operation mode = 1, the MS should treat the HO request as required regardless of signal quality at Serving BS and shall respond with an HO-IND. MS should send HO-IND with option HO_IND_type = 0b00 indicating commitment to HO unless MS is unable to HO to any of the recommended BSs in the message, in which case MS may respond with HO-IND with option HO_IND_type = 0b10 indicating HO reject. An MS required to conduct HO is not restricted to conducting HO to those BS included in the notifying message. In other words, the MS may attempt HO to a different BS that may or may not have been included in either the MOB_BSHO-REQ or MOB_BSHO-RSP.

Change #7: Enhancement of subsection 6.3.22.2.3, HO cancellation:

6.3.22.2.3 HO cancellation

After an MS or BS has initiated an HO using either MOB_MSHO-REQ or MOB_BSHO-REQ message, the MS may cancel HO at any time except of the case that HO operation mode flag was set to 1 in either the MOB_BSHO-REQ or MOB_BSHO-RSP.

Best Regards

Lucy Pollak

Senior SW Architect

Altair Semiconductor