Is this somehow supposed to be related to the group sanctioned ASN.1 review activity?  Joey, are you aware that you're on the email list for the group of ASN.1 contributors who have agreed to do something completely different than you're proposing here in these contributions?

Regards,
Ron Murias

On 2010-09-01, at 7:03 PM, Chou, Joey wrote:

At the Calgary meeting, TGm accepted a contribution 967r2 by a group of people to align ASN.1 code in Annex R.2 with message tables in D7 draft. I believe it was an important step, as it was the 1st attempt to align both message tables and ASN.1 code. However, there were still many isssues that generated heated discussions both offline and in the closing plenary of the Clagary meeting. These issues are sumarized below:

·        The ASN.1 code is one draft behind the message tables.
·        How can the ASN.1 code become normative, if the message tables are undergoing many technical changes in every meeting.

After the Calgary meeting, Scott, Bancroft, Alessandro, and I had offline discussions on how to resolve the above issues. Here is our proposal:

·        Attached are two contributions http://dot16.org/ul//upload/TGm_db/C80216m-10_1090.doc  and http://dot16.org/ul//upload/TGm_db/C80216m-10_1091.doc  that move ASN.1 code from Annex R.2 to the corresponding sections in 16.2.3.
·        #1091 moves MAC-Control-Message structure and common type definitions to section 16.2.3,
·        #1090 proposes creating a subsection 16.2.3.1 .. n for each functional area listed in Table 678 (e.g. 16.2.3.1 Network Entry / Re-entry Messages). It moves all message beloning to such functional area to such subsections (e.g. 16.2.3.1.1 AAI-RNG-REQ). It then moves type definitions common to messages in a functional area to subsection 16.2.3.1, and moves ASN.1 code of network entry / re-entry messages after the message table in the corresponding subsection. The reason to co-locate table and ASN.1 code in a section is to align both table and its ASN.1 code, and promote changes to both table and ASN.1 code together in future sessions.
·        If there are technical changes to the tables of Network Entry / Re-entry Messages, they can be harmonized with #1090  to generate one contribution to change both tables and ASN.1 code after the St Petersburg meeting. We intend to include a few messages in a contribution in order to simplify table and ASN.1 harmonization.
·        After all ASN.1 code in Annex R.2 are migrated to specific sections in 16.2.3.x, then Annex R.2 can be removed. But, TGm can release separate ASN.1 ASCII file that can be used for ASN.1 code compilation and MAC message implementation. This is similar to the release of a separate MIB data file in 802.16-2009.

#1090 only covers Network Entry / Re-entry Messages. Additional contributions are needed to move other messages. The intent of this proposal is to align both tables and ASN.1 code in each new draft. We understand this is not an easy task. But, we have only have a few meetings left before closing 16m. We believe it is worth a try to resove this tough issue. Any comments are welcome.

Thanks,

Joey