Re: [STDS-802-16] [802.16n][MM][MultiMode] Discussion on Relay Function for HR-BS for OFDMA Air Interface

Dear all,

Thank you for the inputs from Anh Tuan, Eunkyung, and Eldad. I have combined our thoughts and summarized the following texts in Dark Blue

We may wish to start our 2nd round of discussion based on the texts below.

- What are the trigger conditions of mode changes, and who can initiate the changes?

Trigger conditions of mode change and the initialization of change:

1. For HR-BS acting as HR-RS, trigger condition:

            (a) HR-BS lost backhaul connection. Initiated by HR-BS.

            (b) Requested by HR-MS. Initiated by HR-MS.

2. For HR-MS acting as HR-BS, trigger condition:

            HR-BS is unavailable. Initiated by candidate HR-MS to be operated as HR-BS.

3. For HR-MS acting as HR-RS, trigger condition:

            When the traffic to destination node cannot be relayed by HR-BS. Initiated by HR-BS upon requests of origin HR-MS (centralized scheme) or initiated by origin HR-MS when HR-BS is      unavailable(distributed scheme)

- What is a mode change anyway? Is it a clean switch between two (BS/RS/MS) roles or a station can perform a combined/dual role?

1. For HR-BS acting as HR-RS, even after mode change, HR-BS shall maintain its functionality as HR-BS such as central scheduling etc.

2. For HR-MS acting as HR-BS, after mode change, it will continue to support local source and sink.

3. For HR-MS acting as HR-RS, after mode change, it will continue to support local source and sink.

- What are the supported topologies after a mode change, assuming 16e or 16m baselines?

The network topologies after mode change will be backward compatible to 16e/16m topologies.

- What are the steps taken during/after a mode change?

1. For HR-BS acting as HR-RS, procedure for mode change:

Step 1. Informs subordinate stations that mode change starts

Step 2. Establishes relay link including configuration

Step 3. Informs explicitly or implicitly subordinate stations that mode change is done

2. For HR-MS acting as HR-BS, procedure for mode change:

Step 1. Selection of HR-MS as candidate of HR-BS

Step 2. Informs subordinate stations that mode change is done by broadcast

Step 3. subordinate stations perform network re-entry

3. For HR-MS acting as HR-RS, procedure for mode change:

            Initiated by HR-BS:

Step1. Identify HR-MS to work as HR-RS

Step2. Confirmation of HR-MS to work as HR-RS

Step3. Informs origin node and destination node that mode change starts

Step4. Establishes relay link including configuration

Step5. Informs explicitly or implicitly subordinate stations that mode change is done

            Initiated by HR-MS(in the case when HR-BS is unavailable):

Step1. Identify HR-MS to work as HR-RS

Step2. Confirmation of HR-MS to work as HR-RS

Step3. Informs origin node and destination node that mode change starts

Step4. Establishes relay link including configuration

Step5. Informs explicitly or implicitly subordinate stations that mode change is done

- Should mode change always be regarded as temporary? and if that is the case, what is the time scale, in comparison to that of a MS connection?

The role change is temporary.

Although when the HR-stations will revert back to its original role may be left to implementers to decide, The following conditions are recommended for defining the Exit from Multi-Mode,

1. For the case HR-BS acting as HR-RS, for trigger condition (a), as HR-BS will maintain its functionality as HR-BS, once HR-BS recover its backhaul connection, the relay function will be switch off; for trigger condition (b), once HR-MS completed its transmission of traffic, the relay function will be switched off.

2. For the case HR-MS acting as HR-BS, HR-MS will revert to its role as HR-MS once there is an alternative HR-BS to take over its role.

3. For the case HR-MS acting as HR-RS, once HR-MS completed its transmission of traffic, the relay function will be switched off.

Thank you and best regards,

Alina