Re: [802.19] Conference Call - Coexistence in the 3650 MHz band

Resend

From: Andrew Myles (amyles)
Sent: Friday, 30 March 2007 10:15 AM
To: Kenneth Stanwood; Shellhammer, Steve; stds-802-19@ieee.org; bji@sta.samsung.com; bkraemer@ieee.org; david.grandblaise@MOTOROLA.COM; dickroy@alum.mit.edu; Douglas Chan (dougchan); eldad.perahia@INTEL.COM; fm@octoscope.com; john.sydor@crc.ca; marianna.goldhammer@ALVARION.COM; Paul Piggin; wuxuyong@HUAWEI.COM
Subject: RE: Conference Call - Coexistence in the 3650 MHz band

G'day Ken

If the 802.16 gear does not exist then it could be a little difficult to do a test. ;(

However, one could do a baseline test to validate your simulation using regular 802.16 and regular 802.11 equipment. Do you have any results for such tests? I have heard second hand that 802.16 does very poorly when operating in the same channel as 802.11. Is this true or partially true? What is the mechanism?

As I noted, I am not sure whether the exact form of the simulation of 802.11 actually matters for your purposes. However, you should be using EDCA and not DCF, and in DCF one does not need to wait DIFS for the first packet of a stream when the medium has been free for a while.

Andrew