Re: [802.19] 3650 MHz Minutes - coding and deployment coordination

Marianna,

            When Eldad did some studies of Bluetooth interference into 802.11n it showed that the effect of the narrowband interference is significant so it would expect that when 802.16h transmitted the effect would be similar.

Steve

From: Mariana Goldhamer [mailto:marianna.goldhammer@alvarion.com]
Sent: Sunday, June 22, 2008 2:25 AM
To: Mariana Goldhamer; dickroy@alum.mit.edu; Kenneth Stanwood; Shellhammer, Steve; Paul Piggin; stds-802-19@ieee.org; Adrian.P.Stephens@intel.com; aghasemi@crc.ca; bji@sta.samsung.com; bkraemer@marvell.com; dlubar@ieee.org; david.grandblaise@motorola.com; dougchan@cisco.com; eldad.perahia@intel.com; fm@octoscope.com; I_reede@amerisys.com; john.sydor@crc.ca; Kathy Sohrabi; Naftali Chayat; Nat.Natarajan@motorola.com; Sadek, Ahmed; Shahar Hauzner; wuxuyong@huawei.com; Ziv Nuss; Simon Adar
Subject: RE: 3650 MHz Minutes - coding and deployment coordination

Paul, All,

1. The coding effects are ignored in our simulations; however they can make a big difference.

For example, you say: There is no concept of 802.11y using the subchannels not used by 802.16h, so even if the 802.16 system is using the minimum, the UL is still occupied from the point of view of an 802.11 system near enough to the 802.16 subscriber to hear it. The introduction of the modifications will report an erroneously low and incomplete measure of occupancy.

However there is no evidence than an 802.11 system cannot overcome the presence of an 802.16 subscriber, because the 802.16 PUSC or AMC sub-carrier partitions concentrate the energy such that only a small number of the 802.11 sub-carriers will be affected. The worst case is PUSC, with 6 tiles. If 802.16 will use 10MHz channels, the number of the relevant tiles will be reduced to 3. There is a big chance that the coding will repair the affected 802.11 sub-carriers. Do not forget that we never place different SS or STA in each-other proximity, being allowed some separation. Also the statistical distribution leads to separation, which also contributes to the interference mitigation. Your example may not be relevant at all for 802.19 scenarios.

2. The BS antenna arrangement, as a measure of coordination between operators (I speak about regular 3.65GHz deployment) can introduce additional separation which will mitigate the interference. 802.19 simulations are based on a worst case which may not exist in real deployments. You can definitely have the situation that the channel is used 100% of time by each network and there is no significant interference between geographically co-located networks. Alvarion has the experience and the solution for real deployments, with co-located scheduled and 802.11-based networks, where the interference was resolved by proper antennae arrangements.

With the antenna arrangement approach, the best case is to have 100% time occupancy, which leads to max. throughput, while you try to convince us that the best case is to use the cannel only a fraction of time.

3.  The metrics of channel occupancy has no meaning, as you cannot say which situation is the “good” one.

Mariana