[802.19] Possible 802.11n spectrum scanning requirements

All,

            On the 40MHz 11n coexistence conference call it was suggested that the 802.19 TAG start to look at possible Spectrum Scanning Requirements.   A proposal was made to add include an option for spectrum scanning in the standard.  The proposal was made by John Barr and can be found at,

https://mentor.ieee.org/802.11/file/08/11-08-1101-04-000n-additional-40-mhz-scanning-proposal.ppt

            While the 802.11 WG discusses the merits of this proposal, the 802.19 TAG is a good forum for having technical discussions on possible requirements and technical feasibility.  This information may be useful to 802.11 in making its decision on how to address this proposal.  The text on Slide 6 of John’s presentation beings to discuss possible requirements.  That may be a good place to look at to stimulate thinking on this topic.

            During the conference call it was suggested that the primary non-802.11 systems that are of concern are 802.15.1 (Bluetooth) and 802.15.4 (Zigbee) since they both operate in the 2.4 GHz band.

            Anyone who would like to prepare a presentation on possible spectrum scanning requirements for these non-802.11 systems please notify me.  We can discuss any such presentations on the next conference call on November 3 or at the Plenary meeting in Dallas.

Thanks,

Steve