From: Gerald Chouinard [mailto:gerald.chouinard@xxxxxx]
Sent: Thursday, July 02, 2009 9:45 AM
To: Richard Kennedy
Cc: STDS-802-19@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx; STDS-802-22@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [802.19] FW: [802SEC] Last Chance for hotel rooms: Hyatt
Regency SF is NOW SOLD OUT !!! Book Hyatt at Fisherman's Wharf ASAP !!!

Rich,

I agree with you that time should be set aside in San Francisco for some

real discussions on possible scenarios and strategies that the IEEE 802
should consider regarding the TV white space.

For example, if 802.11 begins a project on TVWS, the question of
coexistence dealt with by 802.19 gets even more relevant.  The
discussions
that we have in 802.19 on the different coexistence schemes (TDM, FDM
and
CDM) are very useful.  TDM is obviously the scheme that provides the
best
isolation between systems in near-far situations where the
desired-to-undesired signal differential can become very large, but this

requires systems synchronization.  The isolation available from FDM is
limited by the filter performance and the flexible bandwidth systems
would
only work if a number of SAW filters at IF was available to provide the
needed rejection for the different bandwidths to avoid saturating the
ADC
in a near-far situation.  CDM just does not provide for sufficient
isolation from different systems if the power is not centrally
controlled.

The item that was raised by Joe Kwak during the last 802.22
teleconference
with respect to a synchronized mode for 802.11 proposed by AT&T opens
interesting avenues, especially that synchronization of 802.22 and
802.16
systems seems to be possible for coexistence because of their 10 ms and
5
ms frames. Adding 802.11 to this synchronized structure would have
promises, especially that quiet periods could then be synchronized for
incumbent sensing.

With respect to 802.22, we have reached the stage of second WG ballot
and
we are starting the second round of comments resolution in San
Francisco.  The Draft has improved considerably and this has allowed
more
focused comments leading to quicker resolution.  Work will continue on
improving the Draft towards sponsor ballot.  I can indicate that the
rumors
that you heard on a major architectural change are not founded.
However,
802.22 will be considering the extension of its standard to
personal/portable applications for full interoperability between the
different fixed/mobile/portable 802.22 applications.  The 802.22 PHY
layer
already allows it.  This extension had been opposed by the broadcasters
earlier but now that the rules have been established by the FCC, such
opposition no longer seems to exist.  The plan, if the WG agrees, is to
re-submit the 802.22a PAR updated to avoid procedural difficulties to
the
EC in November.

Gerald

At 07:13 2009.07.02, Richard Kennedy wrote:
>Steve:
>
>What I wanted the ten minutes at the end of the last call for was to
ask
>the group to consider the possibility that changes may occur at the
July
>meeting (or be set in motion at the July meeting) that could affect the
>work product of this SG.  For instance, what happens if 802.11 begins a
>project to cover the full range of TVWS devices, and will then be
>competing with 802.22 in the outdoor space?  What would the scenarios
>look like if 802.22 fails to muster enough support to continue? Or if
>they expand their PAR to cover the personal/portable devices? Rumors
>have been circulating (just rumors) that 802.22 may seek to make a
major
>architectural change.  How would that affect the outcome?
>
>Because the database conclusions have not been reached by the FCC, and
>other TVWS directions within 802 have not yet been made, we have to
>maintain room in our thinking for these options, or find the work of
the
>group irrelevant when these decisions are made.
>
>I suggest we devote some time in San Francisco to lay out these, and
>other scenarios that will help the EC to decide what they must do to
>make this successful.  Is 802.22 the right technology to fulfill this
>opportunity; as it is, or must it change? Is 802.11 suited for
>long-range, outdoor operation; as it is, or will simple changes make it
>the right choice?  Industry is itching to get a move on as soon as the
>spectrum is available.  If groups within 802 compete for it, if the
>right technology is not chosen, if we don't get it right, the
>opportunity could pass us by.  One example I wanted to discuss was: we
>are looking at having synchronous, centrally managed devices share the
>spectrum with 802.11-like devices.  Over the years, many very talented
>people have lost (and continue to lose) a lot of hair over this
problem.
>Can it be done: sure; is it the best way for a single SDO to shoot for
>spectrum efficiency: not so much.  I believe these are things we also
>need to bring to the EC to help them decide what 802 Wireless should do
>in this space.
>
>I guess that would have taken more than 10 minutes.
>
>Rich Kennedy
>
>Standards Manager
>
>Research In Motion
>
>rikennedy@xxxxxxx