From: whitespace@xxxxxxxx [mailto:whitespace@xxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Sherman, Matthew J. (US SSA)
Sent: Wednesday, August 12, 2009 11:05 AM
To: Mariana Goldhamer; WHITESPACE@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: Straw Poll

Hi Marianna,

I have no objection you your straw poll, but would like to know that origin of your statement that the higher layers are out of scope.

The IEEE 802 scope statement from the P&P reads:

The scope of the LMSC is to develop and maintain networking standards and recommended

practices for local, metropolitan, and other area networks, using an open and accredited process,

and to advocate them on a global basis.

While I don’t think we should try and do the job of the IETF, I see a lack of ‘end to end’ standards for the protocols we develop.  For instance, WiMAX in essence standardizes the 802.16 architecture and protocol aspects above the MAC layer because (in my opinion) no standards organization takes on the task.  The identity of many systems (such as WiMAX and WiFi) is directly tied to the MAC/PHY they are based on.  In my opinion there is nothing that keeps this group from creating systems level end to end standards that include work above the MAC.  However, I encourage that we leverage work being done by other SDO as much as possible and not reinvent the wheel.

Anyway, if you know of other restrictions that I don’t, I’d be happy to hear them.

Best regards,

Mat

Matthew Sherman, Ph.D.
Engineering Fellow
BAE Systems - Electronics, Intelligence, & Support (EI&S)
Office: +1 973.633.6344
Cell: +1 973.229.9520